1988 Chevy Cavalier - Spark problem

Old 08-02-03, 08:12 AM
carlsdad
Visiting Guest
1988 Chevy Cavalier - Spark problem

Z24 - 2.8 V6. I have two cylinders that are not firing. The front right cylinder has spark, but does not fire. The rear left does not spark at all. I took the ignition module to NAPA and they tested it twice telling me it is good. I replaced the coil that goes to the rear left cylinder and no change. I switched the plug of the front right cylinder with the middle one that was firing and the same (plug is not fouled). I am geting a code 43 from the computer. My friend mentioned something about a short in the block?? I have no idea. What do I do next?

Old 08-02-03, 08:54 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
its hard to determine what cylinders you are reffering to the cylinders are 135 on the back 246 on the front usually when you refer to left and right on a vehicle it is when you are sitting in the car and not while looking at the engine compartment.
i would suggest you check the plug wires by using a ohmeter to see if they are ok first, generally 10000 ohms per ft of wire is acceptable for supression plug wires. and also check the plug wires to make sure they are not crossed the underhood sticker should show the coil packs and cylinders each coil fires.
code 43 could be a few things but i would start by checking to ensure the knock sensor on the back of the block is still connected and the connector isnt broken.

Old 08-02-03, 10:14 AM
carlsdad
Visiting Guest
My bad, back passenger side and front driver's side cylinders are the ones not firing.

Old 08-03-03, 07:49 AM
D
You have 3 coils on your car,1/4,2/5,6/3 if the non firing cylinders are on the same coil it's most likely a coil or module problem.Swap the coils between cylinders and note any change,swap wires between cylinders and note change,if none occurs it is likely the module.If it changes after the the swap it's the swapped part thats bad.Usually code 43 electronic spark control indicates a module or ecm problem.Check your plugs also.

Old 08-03-03, 08:09 AM
D
I see you have 2 posts same car could be related,please keep posts on the same thread for same car.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: