Tar Off The Paint!?

Old 08-02-03, 11:49 AM
SimK68
Visiting Guest
Question Tar Off The Paint!?

Yea, not off the road of course, but it came off the trunk weather stripping, the glue that holds it, its just like tar! I was told that gasoline gets it off, but you immidiantly have to wash it. Im afraid it will make it worse.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-03, 01:29 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Any auto parts store, you can pick up some adhesive remover.

Old 08-02-03, 05:05 PM
Group Moderator
WD-40, too.

Old 08-02-03, 07:32 PM
SimK68
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by the_tow_guy
WD-40, too.
And it wont hurt the car's paint? Its on the rear fender.

Old 08-03-03, 05:14 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I assume you mean that old Delta 88 like mine?

Bug and tar remover---any parts store---takes it right off and doesn't harm the paint.

For removing weatherstrip glue/residue, 3M has "Release Agent" which won't harm the paint and works well.

Use ONLY black weatherstrip adhesive from 3M or a reliable company to put on the new one. Yellow 3M or other is NASTY and WICKED to get off.

If you have access to air tools, you can grind off the residue with a die grinder and then POR15 the area to prevent rust. Paint over it and apply your new weatherstrip adhesive and seal.

WD40 won't harm the paint, it will just make a mess .

Old 08-03-03, 01:37 PM
SimK68
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Joe_F
I assume you mean that old Delta 88 like mine?

Bug and tar remover---any parts store---takes it right off and doesn't harm the paint.

For removing weatherstrip glue/residue, 3M has "Release Agent" which won't harm the paint and works well.

Use ONLY black weatherstrip adhesive from 3M or a reliable company to put on the new one. Yellow 3M or other is NASTY and WICKED to get off.

If you have access to air tools, you can grind off the residue with a die grinder and then POR15 the area to prevent rust. Paint over it and apply your new weatherstrip adhesive and seal.

WD40 won't harm the paint, it will just make a mess .

Hey thanks again... But right after this, my pops saw it, took some GASOLINE and off it came in a FLASH as well! But I had to rinse it off IMEDIANTLY or yes, that will harm the paint.

Yes my ol' Delta 88'

Im going to have to find that somwhere Joe, I need to find weather stripping for the WHOLE car. The door panels ore taosted on the sides, where the old man that had it before me wore it out with a coat-hanger tring to unlock locked keys in side.

There is one more thing I need information on real fast... Where can I find this FREON? Its like a subsitute for R-12. The guy that had it wasnt sure where he got it from......

Old 08-03-03, 04:08 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
GM should have the weatherstripping for this car $$$$$$$. Process used to make the stuff is dangerous and the prices have gone out the roof.

Alternatives:

A&M Soffseal (they make the ones for the coupes like mine). Is the car a 2 door or 4 door? The 4 door weatherstrips are likely GM only items.

Also try Metro Molded Rubber Products and Steele Rubber (who buys from Metro).

I got a nice pair of weatherstrips for my '79 Trans Am from Steele for $50 a pair.

A/C repair----job for a professional. Requires special tools, service procedures and know-how.

It can be converted to R134A, recharged with R12 or a blend used.

I did the latter on my '84. I did it last in 1997, I'm going to do it this summer again because I like it frigid .

Old 08-04-03, 03:55 AM
SimK68
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Joe_F
GM should have the weatherstripping for this car $$$$$$$. Process used to make the stuff is dangerous and the prices have gone out the roof.

Alternatives:

A&M Soffseal (they make the ones for the coupes like mine). Is the car a 2 door or 4 door? The 4 door weatherstrips are likely GM only items.

Also try Metro Molded Rubber Products and Steele Rubber (who buys from Metro).

I got a nice pair of weatherstrips for my '79 Trans Am from Steele for $50 a pair.

A/C repair----job for a professional. Requires special tools, service procedures and know-how.

It can be converted to R134A, recharged with R12 or a blend used.

I did the latter on my '84. I did it last in 1997, I'm going to do it this summer again because I like it frigid .

Yea, the car is 4 dr. Ill see what I can do, thanks again amego.

Old 08-04-03, 09:07 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Exclamation WOW!

Here are the part #s and prices:

Door weatherstrips:

RF #20708088 $144.25
LF #20708089 $144.25
RR #20000064 $203.01
LR #20000065 $203.01

Those are list prices! LOL. www.gmpartsdirect.com should have them cheaper. Most fit the B body from 1977 up, so there's a good run of them. Perhaps someone in the aftermarket I mentioned above has them.

That's a lot of green for rubber . I got a PAIR for the '84 2 door coupe of mine through A&M for $98!