paint job, thanks

Old 09-15-03, 03:19 PM
M
M W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
paint job, thanks

93 Ford Thunderbird. How much should I expect to pay for a paintjob? I don't want a $99 special, but this isn't a 68 Mustang either....it's still running well, but the clear coat stuff is coming off and the car looks like it has dandruff....some of the other side paint has streaks in it...so I need a decent paint job. Thoughts? What to ask for what to avoid?
Thanks in advance as usual, and THANKS to all who helped me find my auto-trans fluid stick on the same car, man, did they hide that bugger or what?
mw

Old 09-15-03, 03:25 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The quality of the job is directly related to:

1) The condition of the body underneath;
2) The bodywork done;
3) The skill of the painter.

If the car is lackluster and you just want to clean it up for a few years till you can pitch it for something better, go with a Maaco job.

By the time it looks bad again,

a) If it's a 3.8, the head gasket will grenade.
b) The tranny will be trashed.
c) The car would have given you good service and it will be worth it to get something else.

I'd vow to say about 600 to 800 for a decent paint job from Maaco or a place like that.

Tranny dipstick should be in the RH rear corner. See the owner's manual for more details and a photo, they should have it there.

Old 09-16-03, 10:04 AM
M
M W
some more

Thanks Joe, I think I'm going to rethink my plan....it already sucked the head gasket about a year ago...I have about 195K on it....and the tranny is acting up....so based on your info, it's just going to get worse, right?

Here's another question for you though, since you know a bunch about 93 Birds....this car has electrical ghosts. From day one. I swear a pacemaker set off the alarm. When I use my dirt devil vac to vac the inside, the door locks go up and down sporadically. Now the headlights won't work if the running lamps are on. They are dim. It's just had a ton of electrical maladies that no one has been able to find or fix. Ever heard of that?

Thanks....I guess I should just toss this one and thank it for 195K miles....
mw

Old 09-16-03, 10:36 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Sounds rough and ready for the boneyard......you can probably breathe some life into it for a while.

I would rethink the plan too.....

If you had an aftermarket alarm system installed, it is likely that that is causing some interference with other electrical devices and that is what causes the gremlins you talk about.

You've got the head gasket repair behind you, but the tranny will be another big nut. You're looking at probably a grand for a tranny, and then another say 500 for a paint job at minimum. On a ten year old Ford?

Nahhh .

My sister had this car, it was a 1990. It was riddled with alot of annoyances early on and she got smart and pitched it in 2000 for a new car. Got what it was worth (was in pretty good shape as I had maintained it since new) and I didn't shed a tear watching it go. LOL.

These are nice riding cars, but the love affair ends there. Bottom barrel quality and everything else that goes with it.

Old 09-17-03, 11:48 PM
conscience4u2
Visiting Guest
Angry

MW,
I just HAD to put my .02 worth in about the paint job. Maaco sucks ! Excuse the french.. Maybe the one you'll be taking the car to will be different though. I took my 88 Celica GT to Maaco 2 years ago to have it painted, I was having some of the same kind of problems with my paint, plus my mother backed into her door and felt so guilty about doing it she volunteered to pay half. Anyway, she was friends with one of the owners of the Maaco in Pensacola, Fl. so I decided to have her painted. What could I loose, right ? Well, let me tell you, A LOT. They ended up keeping my car almost 10 days, one reason was because "someone" in the shop scratched my trunk right after they got it painted and they had to fix that. I got overspray all over parts that shouldn't have paint on them at all, (side view mirrors, gasket around the sun roof). No matter WHAT I do to make her shine, (IE washing regularly with approved car wash stuff, keeping the bugs rinsed off, putting on a good wax job) , no shine. They didn't paint under my gas cap, under the hood and trunk, or door jambs, (even though I paid them to). They didn't put the wind deflector back on in front of my sun roof, they had my front ground effects (front spoiler) on UPSIDE DOWN !! I ended up paying almost $800.00 for all this and I STILL need to have my car painted, only NOW I'll have to also pay someone (I KNOW and not my mom) to clean up Maaco's mess. Hope this helps. 4u2

Old 09-18-03, 06:14 AM
E
MW, since you are right on Mexicos doorstep I would drive a hundred or so miles down there, away from the border and let the Mexicans work on your electricial problems. They fix things there and work for about $5.00 an hour. Also if you do the taping on your car they will paint it dirt cheap. Just a suggestion.

Old 09-18-03, 06:29 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Sounds like that will turn out to be a rough job!

I would avoid that. Only used licensed folks to work on your car. If there's a problem, you have zero recourse on the problem in Mexico. Also, what training could these folks have if they charge $5 an hour?

It's not worth the "savings".

Old 09-18-03, 09:39 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
I had macco paint a tail gate--brand new out of the box, they said they would prep it (ie. prim it). They painted right over the factory black coating! It did look good and matched great, but they do not spend time on the most important part of a paint job--preparation!

Old 09-18-03, 09:44 AM
E
Hoe, first of all $5.00 an hour is much more than the going rate in Mexico. The training they have is handed down from generation to generation. They fix things in Mexico as opposed to junking it. I have had electricial problems with my van that I couldn't get fixed here, by licenced shops at 75 bucks an hour. In Mexico, They will fix whatever, it's a matter of pride.

Old 09-18-03, 11:12 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Ya, but where do you go when there is a problem? Tijuana City? LOL.

Far ride for the "savings" you will obtain. Again, the factory techs are paid what they are paid for a reason.

I'd hardly call some of the vehicles coming out of Mexico high quality. My sister's Mexico made VW Jetta (a 2000) blew the head gasket at 15,000 miles.

My Lordstown, Ohio made Cavalier still has its original, and has never seen a dealer, only maintenance by me .

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: