Pontiac Connecting rod in different cylinder?

Old 08-02-03, 03:33 PM
cerino2000
Visiting Guest
Pontiac Connecting rod in different cylinder?

So the machine shop that put by pistons on put every one of them on backwards...kinda. i stamped a number into each one per the cylinder that it was in but I did it in line (i.e. starting from the front towards the back numbering the rods per the order they were in) Now if you flip the engine around, the numbering is not the same as the real cylinder number. For example, the number 2 cylinder actually sits closest to the front of the engine then comes the number 1 cylinder. So the number 1 cylinder is stamped with 2 and the number two stamped with 1. The guy at the machine shop thought it was per real cylinder number and installed the pistons on the rods as such. HOWEVER, what is to stop me from putting the real number 2 cylinder connecting rod into the real nimber 1 cylinder? Under this configuration, the piston points the right direction (front) and it would mate to the number 1 connecting rod right. Is there anything wrong with doing this? The rods were reconditioned. I guess the better question is was each rod made to go into a specific cylinder or as long as the piston points forward and towards the front of the rod is this ok? Each rod has got a different number stamped on it from the factory. Not corresponding to the cylinder that it was is, just random. For example, one has a number 21, another has a number 16. no particular order and no particular number. Anyone have any thoughts? Are all pontiac connecting rods the same in a 455 (other than SD of course)?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-03, 08:40 PM
knuckles
Visiting Guest
All 8 of your rods were the same when they left the factory.

They may or may not be the same now that they've been reconditioned.

If your machinist was especially thorough, he would have tailored each bore to each new piston to achieve perfect piston to wall clearance. Most production machine shops don't do this. They simply machine the bore to a given spec. & install the appropriate oversize piston.

You should talk to your machinist & see if he matched the pistons to the bores before you start swapping stuff around.

Old 08-02-03, 09:33 PM
cerino2000
Visiting Guest
Thanks knuckles, well now that you mention it, I guess it is a good thing then because it now has the pistons in the proper holes that he thought they belonged to. Thanks.

Old 08-03-03, 05:02 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I agree with Knuckles. Better machine shops are organized and know what parts came from what cylinder as they identify them.

It's like doing a water pump job and laying all the bolts back into the cover/hole that they came from. Sure they are interchangeable perhaps, but some seem to fit better from where they came from .

Old 08-04-03, 10:35 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
Rods are all the same.