Clutch Problem!

Old 08-02-03, 05:13 PM
suziqz
Visiting Guest
Angry Clutch Problem!

Hi! I bought an 86 Nova yesterday, and today I think the clutch went out on it. I was on the highway, trying to shift from fourth to fifth, and couldn't. I pulled off to the side, and kept trying to get it in gear and couldn't. The pedal went all the way to the floor. I finally was able to shift it, so I got off the highway. It did it again. When the vehicle is off, I can easily move the stick, without pressing the clutch at all. When the car is running, it is impossible or very hard to shift gears.
My husbands friend told me that it couldn't be the clutch, unless I heard a loud squeeling noise, which I did not. He said that clutches just don't go out like that. It ran fine yesterday, and this morning, and it was fine until I was on the highway trying to get in fifth.
So, does my husbands friend know what he is talking about?? I was ready to just go get a clutch and replace it.

Any ideas???

Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-03, 05:21 PM
Yes, and no.. It sounds like the throw-out bearing has gone out. If it's an external, hydraulic one, the clutch may be fine. If it's internal, it may have gotten fluid on the clutch disk...
When you finally do get it into gear, how does the car pull off/move?

Old 08-02-03, 05:26 PM
suziqz
Visiting Guest
It ran fine once it was in gear. After I hit my last stop light, and got it through 1st, 2nd and 3rd, I stayed in fourth gear the whole rest of the way home.

Old 08-02-03, 10:22 PM
Visiting Guest
when a clutch is 'bad' it slips and you have no gears at all.

from your description and the pedal stuck on the floor, it sounds like you have a clutch 'engagement' problem.

your toyota, i mean chevy (toyota) nova either has a cable, which is now broke, or a hydraulic clutch which has so conveniently leaked all it's fluid out one day after you bought it(pretty good coincidence---time to play the lottery)

i'm guessing something was leaking clutch fluid all along and the fluid was kept topped off until the new owner took over.

look under the hood for a very small reservoir near the brake master cylinder, it should be empty now. add brake fluid and pump the clutch pedal and if you're real lucky, the pedal will come back. now get under the car and look for the leak, it is either the slave cylinder, the line to the slave cylinder, or the master cylinder. master cylinders usually leak inside the car though, right above the pedal where the pushrod goes into the firewall.

tell your husband to start there before replacing the clutch

toyotaman---this is one for you

let us know what you find

Old 08-03-03, 04:55 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree. Sounds like hydraulic clutch failure.

The cylinder has probably been bad all along .

Old 08-03-03, 07:01 AM
suziqz
Visiting Guest
Cool Thank you!!

Thanks so much!! I am so glad that I found this website!! My husbands friend is coming over today to lookat it. I will let you all know if that is what he finds!! Thanks!!

Old 08-03-03, 02:57 PM
suziqz
Visiting Guest
Talking It's running!!!

Thanks guys!! My husbands friend left a couple of hours ago. It took a while to get it figured out, but it was the fluid, and he showed me what to do incase it happens again before we can fix it. There is a bolt that has to be losened, and then someone presses the clutch, and when stuff starts to bubble out, tighten the bolt. Sorry, don't know the name of the bolt!! Thank you again so much!!

Old 08-03-03, 03:57 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
"The bleeder screw" .

The clutch cylinder is likely leaky and has to be replaced.

Old 08-03-03, 04:38 PM
Great car

I have had an 86 Nova I drove it over 200 thousand miles.You do have a hydralic clutch.I had mine replaced at 140 thousand miles.
It sounds like hydraulic problems to me east fix if it is.Replace both slave and master cyl they are cheap.if you really get into it with no breaks 1 hour tops.I loved that little Nova it had the coldest air and was super on gas.

Old 08-03-03, 04:42 PM
you have a leak

You have a leak if you had to put in fluid.run your hand on the carpet by were the clutch petal goes thru and smell it I bet it is there that is the master cyl.If not pull the rubber boot on the slave and see if you see moist.The screw is called a bleeder screw.