Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Starting problems

Visiting Guest

08-03-03, 09:18 PM   #1  
1scott
Starting problems

I have a 1987 F350 with 460ci engine, 4 bbl carb, automatic trans.
When it has been sitting for several hours, it takes a long time and a lot of accelerator pumping for it to start. It seems the battery will almost run down before it finally starts.
When the engine is warm or it has been run within the last hour or two, it starts in a just second, the starter barely turns the engine over once and it's running.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Scott

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-04-03, 03:32 AM   #2  
Joe_F
When's the last time it saw maintenance or a carburetor rebuild?

Those era 4 barrel Holleys were terrible.

Visiting Guest

08-04-03, 10:37 AM   #3  
1scott
Well Joe, the carb has not had a rebuild, but tuneups have been regular and it seems to run good otherwise.
Do you think a carb rebuild would definitely solve the problem?
Could the problem lie with fuel pump pressure, emissions control devices or settings or anything that can be checked before removing the carb?
This is in a cutaway cab which means even after removing the interior engine shroud, the fan shroud and main & A/C radiators it is still very difficult to get to the carb. (just hoping)

Visiting Guest

08-04-03, 10:39 AM   #4  
Joe_F
If the carburetor has NEVER seen service, I think it's way overdue .

Yup, the doghouse has to come out to get to it. I'd go through the carburetor completely and replace all the vacuum lines while you're there.

I'd also replace the fuel pump at the same time. You don't mention how many miles it has, but the pump is cheap and they get slow/weak with age.

Search this Thread