Cooling probelems with your GM vehicle using DEXCOOL antifreeze?

Old 08-04-03, 11:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cooling probelems with your GM vehicle using DEXCOOL antifreeze?

Go to www.classactionamerica.com and look under automotive and you will find a class action lawsuit against GM due to deteriorization of cooling systems using DEXCOOL antifreeze.

Old 08-05-03, 03:29 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The main problem is the "extended drain interval" issue.

If the car required Dexcool originally, then you need to use it.

Otherwise, regular antifreeze changed regularly (once a year) is fine. Half the cost and it gives you the opportunity to inspect the cooling system for problems.

I don't buy "extended drain" anything. I use the severe service category in the owner's guide and follow that

Old 08-05-03, 08:07 PM
DEXCOOL..... IMHO is the worst thing GM ever thought of. I have seen vehicles sitting in the junk yard for over 10 years have cleaner cooling systems with the old reliable green coolant compared to some of the new GM vehicles I have seen come in with that crap in them. Dexcool builds up in the reservoir and on the cap and looks like crap, I can just imagine what it looks like inside the radiator.
Billy

Old 08-06-03, 04:51 PM
T
Hey Billy, while were on the subject of Dexcool.... I recently purchased a Chevy Venture that had a bad intake manifold gasket ,(we thought it was the headgasket), and the service writer said they would flush out the Dexcool and put in Prestone on the refill.

I happened to come onto the shop floor to see how the tech. was coming during the repair and he proceeded to show me the inside of the manifold which was full of what looked like curdled milk.

Since the repair has been done I'm still seeing the pink stuff in the side tank.

Do you think I should take the dealership to task on this or just leave the Dexcool in there or replace the antifreeze myself and be done with it?

Old 08-06-03, 05:31 PM
toni...... Prestone makes a version of Dexcool as well. Thats what we use. Did they put in Pink or green coolant on the refill? You cant mix em or else you will have a runny milkshake looking mess in your system. Just did a Volvo where someone mixed 2 different kinds of coolant and man was it a PITA to get all of the mess out of there. Hope this is not the case with your van.
Billy

Old 08-07-03, 04:38 AM
redneck
Visiting Guest
Just changed my dexcool, 1998 GMC, 57k miles (original coolent) and it looked fine! Flushed it and put dexcool back in! I know people who use it in their classic muscle cars (high dollar) because it cools better.

Old 08-07-03, 05:50 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Bottom line:

If the factory fill was Dexcool, you're stuck using it or the equivalent spec meeting stuff from another company.

If you have a car that originally came with the green stuff, use any good quality full-strength brand and flush the cooling system regularly. There will be no problems otherwise.

Old 08-07-03, 05:55 PM
T
Billy, Yes, I am seeing a pink looking coolant in the expansion tank and I am assuming that it is Dexcool. I was not aware that Prestone made a compatible coolant. I'm hoping that the dealership knows what it is doing in that regard. I just figured that I could make a preemptive strike and change the Dexcool over now and eliminate future problems. Guess I'll leave things as they are this weekend and concentrate on the brakes on my Daughter's Buick.

Old 08-08-03, 03:33 AM
frank2009
Visiting Guest
dexcool

I've used dexcool from prestone in my '97
dodge neon for past 4-5 years. no problems; but i flush it out annually.

Old 08-08-03, 04:05 AM
As long as you arent seeing anything that looks like (pink)clabbered milk then I would not worry about it. I have just seen alot of nasty stuff when it comes to Dexcool. If it is any consolation I have seen the same symptoms from the European Pentosin coolant. It is important to flush the stuff regularly. They say every 5 years, but I certainly would not wait that long.
Billy

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: