1988 Beretta engine stalls

Old 08-05-03, 11:15 AM
RABethel
Visiting Guest
1988 Beretta engine stalls

My daughter's 1988 Beretta (2.8 MFI) recently had the engine's ignition control module, crankshaft positioning sensor, and throttle body replaced, along with new plugs and wires, fuel filter, and new radiator.
When it is cold, the engine runs like great, however after about 5 to 7 miles (long enough for the engine to warm up), the engine will die, and will not start for at least 30 to 45 minutes. I have taken it to mechanics, who say they can find no reason for this.

Mechanics have commented on how strong the engine is, considering its age, and aside from this problem, it is a great car.

Any ideas as to the cause and possible remedies?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-03, 01:01 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Still sounds like an ignition component problem; modules and coils are common failures on these. Next time it happens, see if you have spark, bet you do not. If so, check the module just installed as well as the coils to see if they are within spec.

Must determine if you have spark or fuel (or lack thereof). You've already spent more on parts than this car could ever be worth .

Old 08-05-03, 06:10 PM
I had an Isuzu in the shop last week with similar symptoms. I checked all of the same things Joe just told you to check. I still had fuel, and I still had fire. I was able to pull a code from the computer although the check engine light was not on. There was a problem with the throttle position sensor. (cant remember the actual code or description. I changed the TPS and it ran great. This could be something to investigate.
Hope this helps,
Billy