Integra automatic transmission grinds

Old 08-05-03, 08:08 PM
Integra automatic transmission grinds

My daughterís 1994 Acura Integra RS grinds in position 1 or in 4th gear. The transmission is fine in second or D3 but when it hits 4th or if you put it in 1 it makes a loud grinding noise but no noise in first if itís in D3 or D4. What could cause the noise and why position 1 and 4th.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-03, 08:44 PM
Lightbulb

check the amount of lubricant in the transmission, has any transmission service been done on this car? Be sure to only use Honda Trans Fluid,

OM

Old 08-06-03, 03:39 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with OM. How many miles?

Old 08-06-03, 06:16 AM
The car has 180,000 miles. Will the honda fluid really make that much of a difference?

Old 08-06-03, 07:59 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Not likely, it sounds like internal failure of the tranny, especially at that mileage.

Some fluids are Honda specific and if you use anything else, it can cause problems. I believe Hondas use Dexron in their automatics though---check your owner's manual to be sure.

Old 08-06-03, 03:41 PM
Generally speaking when a auto trans makes a grinding noise,it's having a hard part failure.Hard parts are not changed on standard rebuilds because they are big money parts.I don't have a Honda range reference chart but something that is applied in 1st and 4th is going south.

Search this Thread