Airconditioner blowing air out wrong vents

Old 08-05-03, 08:45 PM
Debbie7282
Visiting Guest
Question Airconditioner blowing air out wrong vents

Hi Joe:

It's the girl with all of the car troubles again!

I finally gave up on the Honda that I had, drove it to Wyoming and parked it at my uncle's house. I bought a 1992 Buick LaSabre Limited, fully loaded with low miles. It is in mint condition inside and out and only has one little problem......

The air conditioner works great but it has all of a sudden stopped blowing out of the normal vents. It blows fine out of the vents on the dash, floorboard and vents in the backseat.

Any suggestions on what might have caused this change? Nothing happened and there was no sign of anything wrong at all. The vents just stopped working.

Thanks for all of your help. You've had great advice for me on every single question I've asked. I appreciate your time and knowledge.

Debbie

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-03, 03:38 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Wow, WY is far from here (NYC suburbs) .

You have a vacuum problem.

Inspect all your vacuum lines under the hood. One of them is likely brittle or broken. That's the source of the problem. Sometimes there's a softball shaped vacuum canister for the HVAC vents. Typically that line is split or broken.

Barring that, could be a leaky vacuum switch on the back of the control, but usually you'll hear hissing inside the vehicle if that's the case.

Old 08-07-03, 04:56 PM
Question

I had a similar problem with my 1990 Suburban, on my vehicle behind the glove box lives the duct work for the hvac, inside of this duct work there is a diverter door, this door directs where the air will flow. There is a cover that is held on with three screws, behind this cover is the diverter door. This door has a really poorly designed plastic connector that connects the door to the linkage from the vacuum motor; the connector was $2.97 at the dealer.
It is held in place with one screw and one pivot pin. For me I removed the glove box to gain access to the duct work. Not sure what you will need to do or, if you car has a similar design.
From what I have found out it is notorious for breaking, now this might not be your problem I just thought I would give you something else to look for?

Search this Thread