93 Tempo ideling at high RPM's

Old 08-06-03, 03:31 PM
jrw_sound
Visiting Guest
93 Tempo ideling at high RPM's

93 Ford Tempo -- 1.8 FI 4-DR

When I start the car, it is ideling too high.

I've checked the throttle cable and springs and they aren't seized up or anything. Is there anything computer wise that may be causing this?

Old 08-06-03, 04:49 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
could be a vacum leak or a bad idle air control valve, would be the most likely cause if the only problem you are having is a high idle i would suspect a bad iac valve.

Old 08-07-03, 05:54 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Original poster:

I agree with BeJay.

Using autolibrary.org in my signature file below, check the IAC valve for fault and clean the throttle body with the proper Ford approved cleaner (from the dealer).

P.S. Your Tempo either has a 3.0 or a 2.3, not a 1.8.

Old 08-07-03, 12:54 PM
jrw_sound
Visiting Guest
Right. 2.3 not 1.8, thanks.

Does my Tempo have an iac valve AND an air by-pass valve assymbly or is that the same thing. I'm looking at a Haynes and all I can find is the latter.

Thanks..

Old 08-07-03, 04:41 PM
B
its the same thing often the name describing it will be different though especially when using aftermarket parts books.

Old 08-08-03, 02:34 PM
These were known for bad power steering high pressure switches

Old 08-08-03, 03:41 PM
jrw_sound
Visiting Guest
Honestly, I'm not sure this car is worth new windshield wipers. That said, what are my odds if I opt for a used iac valve instead of a new one? (I'm still rounding up an ohm-meter so I haven't yet confirmed that that's the actual problem.)

Old 08-08-03, 05:40 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Used IAC would likely be junk like the one you have.

If you feel the car isn't worth the repair, that's another story.

Old 08-08-03, 08:26 PM
jrw_sound
Visiting Guest
Gotcha. Thanks so much for the advisement. I'll take that into consideration.

Old 08-08-03, 09:27 PM
If you don't have access to a multi-meter, you can always pull off the old IAC, clean it with some carb cleaner, re-install, and see if it makes any difference.. This isn't an intended repair, but a very quick, cheap way of helping define the problem...Of course if the IAC is actually shorted internally, then cleaning won't make a difference.. But usually it's more a case of being sludged up..

Old 08-08-03, 09:39 PM
jrw_sound
Visiting Guest
I'll try that. Now there's a gasket with that though, right? Will I be able to purchase just a replacement gasket for it?

Old 08-09-03, 03:41 AM
If you're careful, you can get the gasket off without doing damage to it..Again this isn't a repair method, just a cheap way of checking it out..But if nothing changes, most parts places sell just the gasket.

Old 08-09-03, 12:33 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Yes, you should be able to buy only the gasket. Felpro probably makes that gasket. Any parts store will have it.

Some IACS respond to cleaning, others don't. All depends.

Old 08-09-03, 12:45 PM
B
if it is a plastic iac you probably shouldnt clean it as it will be more damaged than it is right now as carb cleaner tends to damage the plastic diaghram inside. however if you are just trying to determine if its the problem start the car up and disconnect the iac connector this should cause the car to idle very low or die if the iac is working correctly, if no change remove the iac and place your fingers over the holes one will have vacum on it now have someone start it and it should either idle very low or start and die, still no change means you have a vacum leak somewhere and should look elsewhere.

Old 08-09-03, 02:02 PM
bejay- Good Point.. I can't remember when I've run across a plastic IAC, but if it is, carb cleaner will definately do some damage...

Old 08-09-03, 09:06 PM
jrw_sound
Visiting Guest
You're all a bunch of geniuses in my book (honestly). I'm really learning quite a bit about this part. THANKS! I'll try this tomorrow.

Old 08-10-03, 04:40 PM
jrw_sound
Visiting Guest
Bejay was right. I put my fingers over the holes and it idled very low. Bad IAC as you all thought. And it does have the plastic rings inside it so I won't use carb cleaner to clean it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: