Ford Ranger

Old 08-08-03, 06:19 PM
HOTWINGMAN
Visiting Guest
Ford Ranger

I have a 1985 Ford Ranger 4 cylinder fuel injected 4 wheel drive 5 speed transmission. My problem is in my camshaft pulley. The key in the shaft has been sheared off at the pulley. However the rest of the key--holding the timing belt gear. is fully intact. Is it possible to remove the key and if so any recommendations.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-03, 06:54 PM
Get yourself some detailed instructions from here or a good manual and do the timing belt service procedure. Then just remove the pulley and replace the key. Pretty simple on that engine
Good Luck.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 08-08-03, 07:32 PM
HOTWINGMAN
Visiting Guest
I have tried removing the key. The problem lies in the part of the key that was sheared off. The key doesn't go the whole length of the shaft, it starts about a half inch into it and goes to about a quarter inch from the end of the shaft that is showing. Is there a certain way that will work to get the key out. I have tried with a chisel with no luck.

PLEASE ADVISE........

Hotwingman.......I make the best hotwings this side of hooters.

Old 08-08-03, 08:31 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Original poster:

I'm not clear of what the problem is. Can you not remove the pulley?

The pulley may have to be removed using a puller to "pry" it off the shaft. Does it have threaded holes in it?

Once the pulley is off, the key remnants can be removed and the timing belt procedure started.

Now's a good time to go through the cooling system as well.

I assume we are talking about a 2.3 as that is the only 4 cylinder engine in the Ranger line which had fuel injection in '85.

Old 08-09-03, 05:09 AM
HOTWINGMAN
Visiting Guest
I'm sorry, I could've been a little more specific. The Key got sheared off sometime during operation, at which time it loosened the bolt that was holding the pulley on which in turn allowed the pulley to come off the shaft which also knocked off the 2 serpentine belts. So the pulley came off on it's own. I took off the timing belt cover, marked the pulleys and took off the belt. There was a gear behind the cover that came off and the part of the key on the shaft that ran that was still intact.
So my problem doesn't lie in removing the pulleys, it lies in removing the key. Should it just come out??? The part of the key that ran the pulley (away from the engine) got sheared off to nothing while the part that ran the gear(towards the engine) is still there.

Hope this helps to answer my question.

Old 08-09-03, 09:15 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
I Think?? I got a grip on that. You should be able to remove it with a sharp center punch or a small chisel, I assume it is just maybe gaulded in the slot. You may have to sort of refabricate the chisel end to work the best for you.Dont get carried away with the hammer and chisel or punch. I have never seen one like that, in this particular situation. but this is the way I would attempt to remove the key. Check both key "ways/slots" closely for "wallow"/damage.
These need to be is good shape, else it may happen again.

Old 08-09-03, 12:23 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Darrell.

So you are stating the pieces of the key are stuck in the slot?

Old 08-09-03, 06:07 PM
Visiting Guest
make sure when you finally do get it out, that you tighten the heck out of that bolt, the keyway is designed for alignment of the gear only and is not strong enough to turn the gear, the loose bolt caused the key to shear. like said before, you may have to grind the chisel down to the same shape of the the keyway to get it to move, also make sure when you have the new keyway it fits tight into the pulley, usually the pulley slot eggs out too.

Old 08-10-03, 05:08 PM
It sounds to me like you are talking about a woodruff key, which is a half moon. This is the only type of key that should be in a blind keyway. Look at it and see if it looks like it is tapered from the flat surface in towards the other side. Anyway..... Take a chisel, or punch and put it close to one end and tap straight down and the other end will cantilever right out.
Hope this helps,
Billy

Old 08-10-03, 05:08 PM
It sounds to me like you are talking about a woodruff key, which is a half moon. This is the only type of key that should be in a blind keyway. Look at it and see if it looks like it is tapered from the flat surface in towards the other side. Anyway..... Take a chisel, or punch and put it close to one end and tap straight down and the other end will cantilever right out.
Hope this helps,
Billy
Check this link.