overheating

Old 08-09-03, 10:47 AM
overheating

Guys, I know I'm not following the rules as far as offering make, model etc, but hope that you can help me.

A friend called today and said their car is overheating. That the fan isn't cutting on and that they hear a boiling sound when the car is cut off.

It probably a 1990 something, with front wheel drive.

This is what I recommended, please correct me if I'm way off base.

I had them take the radiator cap off, and then crank the engine. The antifreeze in the radiator never went down or up (indicating that the thermostat never opened up). I also had them check the hose that came from the thermostat housing and the 'other' hose. The hose from the thermostat housing to the radiator never got warm, but the other hose was very hot. I sent them after a new thermostat and gasket.

Now, about the fan. Is the fan controlled by the temperature in the radiator? Or is this question impossible to answer without knowing the car make and model?

Kay

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-03, 11:28 AM
Concerning the fan, it's probably impossibe to know without more info but you should see if the fan is working by disconnecting it and running a hot and ground to the terminals, if the fan is working it may be a relay or a temperature switch, or a fusable link. A radiator cap is often overlooked but can become a major cause of overheating. More info.

Old 08-09-03, 11:51 AM
They took the car to autozone, and they said something about a relay.

The car is a 2000, Hyundai Elantra.

Thanks, and I apologize for not having the other information at the time I posted. The thermostat is the only thing that comes to mind for me, but then again I've driven a 79 Blazer for so long that the computerized and electronics of these newer cars are beyond me.

Kay

Old 08-09-03, 12:01 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

The vehicle may still be covered by the factory warranty, so I'd let the dealer handle the problem at no charge. My vote.

Beyond that, if the fan never turns on (turn on the A/C and listen for the fan---it should go on right away), that is the cause of the overheating condition.

Must be corrected at once---you will easily damage the aluminum head by overheating.

Ascertain if the fan never comes on or not---then go from here.

Old 08-09-03, 12:22 PM
I talked to Ashley again, and she said that the fan never comes on, even with the a/c running. She also mentioned, its working now, but her a/c quit blowing cold air but then started working again - about a week ago. They are not driving the car since I told her that it is dangerous to let the car overheat since it could warp the heads.

I have access to the car right now and am wondering how do I test the two fuse things (they don't look like regular fuses, maybe relays?) that are in the fuse box under the hood (one is yellow, the other red - and look like small plastic boxes). I don't have a book for their car, and they won't purchase one. Anway, no warranty on the car either.

Is this something that I need to just walk away from or try to help with. I just try hard to help women with children, especially those that are pregnant. I have a multimeter, but am not sure what I'm testing for or exactly how to go about it.

Would my Taurus book help me with any of this?

Kay

Ps. I appreciate you guys more than you will ever know!

K.

Old 08-09-03, 12:26 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
With the key out of the ignition and the engine cool, carefully spin the fan. If it's choppy, noisy or crooked, the motor is wasted and that's likely your problem.

Check each and every fuse, pulling them out one by one. Use the owner's manual in the glove box to guide you.

You should be able to download the OEM manual free from the website link I have listed in my signature file below.

Tell us what you find.

Old 08-09-03, 12:56 PM
I did check the fan earlier and didn't find a problem with binding, not rotating smoothly or making any types of noise.

I won't have a chance to test the fuses until tomorrow since they aren't home right now and I don't have a key to their car. If she gets back before I leave I will check them then, if not tomorrow will be the best that I can do since DH has been working so hard lately that I'm taking him out for dinner and a movie tonight.

Thanks again for the help. I'll post back later when I can finish the steps you've given me.

Kay

Old 08-10-03, 12:31 PM
First off you're working blind, get your friend to buy a book, ebay is the cheapest, try for the factory service manual if you know your way around cars.
You can test a relay by taking it out and applying 12 volts and a ground to two of the terminals/ You should hear an audible click, if you don't the relay is no good and should be replaced. If there is another relay, same type, try switching them to confirm that's the problem. If you do get an audible click the relay is should be good. It could also be corrosion in the connectors, try a non metalic piece of fine grit on the inside of the terminals
If the fan is working intermitantly you should also check the ground side of the wiring to the fan, make sure it's clean, tight and free of dirt or corrosion.

Old 08-10-03, 01:19 PM
I am working blind, and frustrated. Her husband will be back today from boot camp. I will just let him deal with it. I was trying to help them get things together before he got home so he wouldn't have so much to deal with when he got here. Plus, he's been gone for 3 months so I wanted them to spend family time together.

I will print this thread out and give it to them if they ask for help. If not, I'll just forget about it.

I agree with having a book on your car, even if it is the small ones you get at your local auto parts store. I also agree that if you plan on doing anything other than 'normal' work on your car a shop manual is a must.

I guess a good practice could be: when you pick up your new/used car, swing by the auto parts house and pick up the book for it before you ever park your new/used car in your drive for the first time.

Kay

Old 08-10-03, 02:12 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Why would you waste your greenbacks on a Chilton when the OEM manual is free from Hyundai on their site (so we are told)?

Link furnished in my signature file below.

Working in the blind=sure fire way to waste time, change parts unnecessarily and STILL not have the problem figured out.

Old 08-10-03, 04:19 PM
Joe,

I tried the links but am having some software problems so the links aren't reachable by me at the moment.

BIG NOTE HERE: I have always been able to reach those two sites, but due to the issues with my browser software I can't. It IS MY SOFTWARE, not bad links.

Joe, if you choose, go ahead and delete this thread or close it. I never could obtain enough information to give you for real help, and I doubt that I will ever have any results to post. I am hoping that they will at least take it on to a shop. We have some really honest ones here.

Thank you all for help your time and help.

Kay

Old 08-10-03, 07:30 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Lol, but people tell us we give a bad link Kay and it's NOT their software. LOL.

Leave the post as-is in case you need to come back. It's fine.