Engine running rough

Old 08-09-03, 02:41 PM
Engine running rough

I have a 76 Olds Cutlass Wagon 350 V8 with 110,000 miles on it. This car ran like a top. But lately I haven't used it much and when I do, it runs rough. One of my friends say it is a lifter, another says Carburator, yet another says fueld filter/pump. What do you think it is and how can I fix it??. I would like to get it running again so I can sell it. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-03, 03:15 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
need to try and determine, fuel or ign problem. May be as simple as new plugs and wires. Depends on how much $ you want to soak in it before selling it, I would start there. What speed is this occuring?.

Old 08-09-03, 03:26 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Assuming it's the original engine, it's an Oldsmobile 350.

They do break lifter rocker bridges and sometimes the lifters stick, but it's likely an old and tired carburetor or a vehicle in need of a tuneup/once over.

Tough to say what the problem is without knowing much about what has been done to it in the past.

Old 08-09-03, 05:22 PM
Engine running rough

Iam sorry guys, I forgot to mention that I put in new Plugs, Ignition wires and Ignition booster in the
distributor. Also timed it. Still runs rough. I will remove the valve covers and see whats going on in there.
Thanks.

Old 08-09-03, 07:23 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Doubt it's in there.

I'd say carburetion---try some minor adjustments, and if there's no difference, likely in the carburetor.