Low Transmission Fluid...

Old 08-09-03, 04:51 PM
SimK68
Visiting Guest
Exclamation Low Transmission Fluid...

On the way to work when I 1st started the car, and put it in drive, the tranny slipped as it was tring to move in first gear. And I Then I checked the fluid, and it was a quart low. I havent checked it for somtime before realizing it was this low. Now its fine after adding the proper fluid (Dextron III for GM)...Now just for peice of mind, did this hurt anything vital that will make it break down in the future? Because I sure dont want to again spend $100s to guy thats repaired my trannys over the years.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-03, 05:06 PM
As long as it's working fine now you're probly ok. 1st chance you get you should have the leak found. Until then check the fluid every fill-up of gas.

Old 08-09-03, 07:19 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Agree.

The THM200 3 speed and THM2004R with O/D were both undersized and piss poor tranny choices for these vehicles.

Do what you can to nurse them along---especially if it's an original tranny .

What was the condition of the fluid? Also, you must check the fluid warm as shown in the owner's manual.

Old 08-10-03, 11:25 AM
SimK68
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by Joe_F
Agree.

The THM200 3 speed and THM2004R with O/D were both undersized and piss poor tranny choices for these vehicles.

Do what you can to nurse them along---especially if it's an original tranny .

What was the condition of the fluid? Also, you must check the fluid warm as shown in the owner's manual.
No Joe it was rebuilt a couple of years ago,and it has the over/drive (which hit my pocket book harder) and is in fine working condition. The fluid gets changed every year along w/ the screen filter..the fluid is fine a BRIGHT clear pink as its suppose to be, yea know all about that. I was just making sure that it didnt louse anything up being that low, or wont in the long run.

mattison & joe,

Yes the oil pan gasket is leaking, and was 2 weeks after I got it out of the last oil change service. I think the Newbie service man at the shop didnt realize how much oil he put in. But I had also just got the car back from the motor being rebuilt, so I didnt feel like waiting again. So I said screw it, ill just wait 6 months to let everything break in and work out all the other bugs. But yes, its the pan gasket, and I hope NOT the front seal as well, because its also leaking a little bit fron that little hole in the torque converter cover.

Thanks yall! ITs going back in 2 weeks .

Old 08-10-03, 02:18 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Correct any and all leaks promptly or you will finish the tranny in no time. Any and all warranties would likely be voided, so keep up on it .