1989 chevy s-10 w/2.5 liter

Old 08-09-03, 05:56 PM
benbyit
Visiting Guest

I have a 1989 s-10 with a blown engine. found a replacement in very good condition in a wreck, listened to it run, got a good price and bought it. it was in a 88. It appears to be exactly the same engine, but recently a friend told me that there is something in the vin numbers that has to match or the computer in my 89 won't run the other engine. First question---is this true and second can the computer modules be interchanged if needed. thank you, benbyit

Old 08-09-03, 06:48 PM
Visiting Guest
if possible, this is what i'd do. strip all the electronic parts off the good engine and transfer all your old electronic parts to the new engine, make everything stay in your car now and keep it all original to the vehicle, then it all has to work. like i said, 'if possible', this would be treating it as a long block replacement(like a jasper)

Old 08-09-03, 06:54 PM
benbyit
Visiting Guest

thank you, sounds like a good idea. actually most of the electronics on the old engine are new, so makes double good sense

Old 08-09-03, 07:03 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
The junkyard that sold it to you should be able to tell compatibility from a Hollander Interchange Manual. That's what they use to figure out if they have something in their inventory that works for your application.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: