2000 Alero cruise control

Old 08-10-03, 06:16 PM
Jadian10
Visiting Guest
Question 2000 Alero cruise control

I have thought a couple of times that there was something not quite right with the cruise control on my car. The last time I used it, however, I was convinced. I have a 2000 Alero with a 4cycl. automatic.

Occasionally-but not always- the cruise control will rev the engine up to very high RPM's, usually on inclines. It scares me. I am sure it is not good for the engine and it doesn't help the gas mileage much. I would like to know what could possibly be the causes of this, and the options to repair it.

Is it something I can fix or is it a repair shop issue?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-03, 06:29 PM
Most likely what you are experiencing is the transmission dropping down to a lower gear to attempt to maintain the set cruise speed. If that is the case then there is no need to be alarmed. This is perfectly normal. Does the "high rpms" drop back down to normal once the desired set speed is attained?
Hope this helps,
Billy

Old 08-10-03, 06:35 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
inclines normally affect the cruise control. Trans will sometime downshift perhaps 1 and maybe 2 gears, depends on incline. Does this in order to try and maintain preset speed. Every car I have ever had did this. Best not use cruise on hilly terrain. Anything else would surely be a repair shop issue, unless you are a real guru and have a schematic/shop manual of the system.

Old 08-10-03, 06:47 PM
Jadian10
Visiting Guest
cruise control

I understand what both of you are saying. But should the RPMs rev up into the red zone on the tach?? It did this once and this is what scares me. The normal revving on an incline I understand. It just seems like this is a little abnormal. It was not that great or long of an incline. Just wondering. If you have any more comments I would appreciate them

Old 08-10-03, 06:51 PM
Jadian.... My Mazda Pickup (Ranger in disguise) did that to me a couple of times as well. I was like WHOA NELLY!!!! I let it finish itself out and it was fine after that. Most times it does it to me it is in a particular spot on the highway where there isnt a huge incline, its just a nice long steady climb. It just need to get up to speed. Any other time on regular little inclines or whatever it doesnt do it.
Hope this helps,
Billy

Old 08-10-03, 07:15 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Unless you are going 100 mph and then hit the cruise, , I can't see any reason for the tach to spool into the red zone like that. Sounds like something's amiss.

Check alldata.com for any known bulletins, if any that might match your problems.

Old 08-10-03, 07:29 PM
otter_
Visiting Guest
red zone

tach can tickle the redline with this engine. Horsepower peak is in that neighbourhood.

Don't sweat it. The 2.4 likes to rev.

Old 08-10-03, 07:33 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest

I must be used to the Pontiac V8 where much of the ommph comes down low and you don't even have to be half way to the red line to be passing things like they are standing still. LOL.

Even on my newer cars, I've tweaked the cruise at highway speed + and it's hardly even raised the RPM of the engine.

Old 08-11-03, 10:42 AM
otter_
Visiting Guest
red zone

put that 2.4 twin cam on a long steep grade and the powertrain computer will do whatever it can to maintain road speed, even if it means a 4 to 2 kickdown.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

no substitute for the low end grunt of a six or eight.

Search this Thread