No electrical power to my GMC Sierra

Old 08-12-03, 11:38 AM
nmh
Visiting Guest
No electrical power to my GMC Sierra

I hooked up my 1989 GMC Sierra to my horse trailer, turned on the key heard a pop and lost all electrical, No door light, no horn, no brake lights, nothing happens when I turn on the key. I've only had the truck for 2 months. I had an electronic brake controller installed and I've used it 3 times. My friend hooked her truck up to the trailer right after me and it worked fine. The battery shows 12 Volts and I get 12 Volts at the alternator. I can't figure out if there are any main fuses that could be causing the problem. I checked the fuse panel below the steering column and nothing is blown. Is there a circuit breaker or main fuse somewhere that I can't find? I'd appreciate any help.

Old 08-12-03, 11:51 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Sounds like a blown fusible link---usually inline by the starter.

If the trailer set up is not a direct plug in type (like the Hoppy Lite Mate style) where you had to cut into the harness to install it, throw it out and get the Direct plug in style.

Anytime you tap into wiring like that it's asking for trouble.

Old 08-12-03, 07:29 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Most cars and trucks have another fuse box under the hood. This is where the primary relays and fuese are..Usually there's a main ignition fuse there...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: