recycling trans fluid

Old 08-12-03, 08:03 PM
josh1
Visiting Guest
recycling trans fluid

Can transmission fluid be recycled or is it just thrown out? I drained 7 qts into a big 15qt oil pan but now dont know what to do with it! Thanks-Josh

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-03, 10:59 PM
Visiting Guest
EVERYTHING gets recycled.

i mix all my fluids together, oil, trans, gear oil, brake fluid, antifreeze and gasoline all in one container and my township's public works yard has a huge drum that i can pour it all into. a five gallon bucket with a lid or an old gas container works perfect for this

Old 08-13-03, 03:37 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Most places don't fancy mixing of antifreeze and oil. I changed the coolant in my mother's Saturn and Pep Boys for one won't accept it, but will accept motor oil.

Go figure---what do they do with theirs?? Could always mix it and say, "I think the car blew the head gasket"

No, you cannot throw fluid out---contact a parts store for disposal, or as mentioned, your town sanitation/enviornmental board.

Old 08-13-03, 03:39 AM
Many shops will take used fluids for people also..We do, but our barrels have to be separated..Oils/tranny fluid/gear oil into 1 barrel, brake fluid/brake cleaner into another, and antifreeze into another..I've worked for places like Firestone that took it also...