Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

recycling trans fluid

Visiting Guest

08-12-03, 08:03 PM   #1  
josh1
recycling trans fluid

Can transmission fluid be recycled or is it just thrown out? I drained 7 qts into a big 15qt oil pan but now dont know what to do with it! Thanks-Josh

Sponsored Links
's Avatar
Visiting Guest

08-12-03, 10:59 PM   #2  
EVERYTHING gets recycled.

i mix all my fluids together, oil, trans, gear oil, brake fluid, antifreeze and gasoline all in one container and my township's public works yard has a huge drum that i can pour it all into. a five gallon bucket with a lid or an old gas container works perfect for this

Visiting Guest

08-13-03, 03:37 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Most places don't fancy mixing of antifreeze and oil. I changed the coolant in my mother's Saturn and Pep Boys for one won't accept it, but will accept motor oil.

Go figure---what do they do with theirs?? Could always mix it and say, "I think the car blew the head gasket"

No, you cannot throw fluid out---contact a parts store for disposal, or as mentioned, your town sanitation/enviornmental board.

08-13-03, 03:39 AM   #4  
Many shops will take used fluids for people also..We do, but our barrels have to be separated..Oils/tranny fluid/gear oil into 1 barrel, brake fluid/brake cleaner into another, and antifreeze into another..I've worked for places like Firestone that took it also...

Search this Thread