Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Eclipse Timing Belt

Visiting Guest

08-13-03, 07:42 AM   #1  
huckle_berry
Eclipse Timing Belt

I have a '92 eclipse 2.0 non-turbo and the timing belt slipped causing it of course to immediately stop running and jump time. I have the engine torn down enough to replace the belt, do I need to remove the cams and check the push rods?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-13-03, 09:35 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Yup, according to the Gates wall chart, that's a valve bender (interference engine).

These Mitsubishi engines can cause collo$al damage when there are timing belt woes.

Visiting Guest

08-13-03, 10:58 AM   #3  
CSeyer
I had a '91 Laser with the same 2.0 DOHC Mits engine do the same thing. Bummer was I had the timing belt replace only 15k miles before it jumped timing. $3k later worth of engine work (Head valves, etc, etc) and it never was the same. Drove it for another year and traded it. Wish I would have taken the first mechanics offer to buy it from me broken. My lesson learned not worth the cash on a car that old IMHO.

08-13-03, 05:16 PM   #4  
i would suggest go ahead and put the belt on and run a compression test there is a chance it may of not damaged the valves depending on how far it jumped time, once you have the belt on and tightened just install your crank pulley and dont worry about putting it all back together, and do a simple compression test if any valves are bent it will show up with a compression test and then you can pull the cylinder head if the car needs further repair.

Search this Thread