'01 Mercury Grand Marquis with intermittant stalling

Old 08-13-03, 09:44 AM
'01 Mercury Grand Marquis with intermittant stalling

Here are the specs:
-2001 Mercury Grand Marquis with 4.6L V8, dual exhaust
-42K miles
-fluids/filters changed regularly - oil every 3K miles, transmission every 25K miles, coolant every 18 months, brake fluid every 12-18 months, new front pads at 40K.

-No tuneup work done to date other than changing air filter- supposedly plugs can go to 100K miles.

Problem: Car starts and stalls immediately until warmed up. This has happened about three-four different times in the past month or so. I have cleaned the Idle Speed Control valve twice, and run a bottle of Techron through her. I have owned 4 Grand Marquis, and the ISC valve has gummed up on 3 of them so far. Usually a good cleaning with some TB cleaner has been all that was required.

Both times that seems to have cured the problem, for say, 3-10 days. But then it comes back, or has so far. After the second cleaning the check engine light came on and stayed on for about 48 hours. It has been about a week now and the light has not reappeared. However the problem reappeared fro a day and then disappeared. Any suggestions for diagnosing further? How can I test the valve to see if it's working properly. Unfortunately it does not appear to be interchangeable with my new '03 so I cannot swap it. Also, what other sensors should I test?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-03, 09:59 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have Autozone scan your vehicle for codes and tell us what they find.

If it turns out to be an emission part, I would squeeze Ford for a free repair, even though you are slightly over the mileage for the 3/36 OEM warranty.

Old 08-13-03, 10:11 AM
Thanks, good suggestion, except the nearest AZ is about 45 minutes away. We have mostly Advanced Auto Parts here. not sure if they will do the read. In the meantime, is there any way to read codes with a DVM or through the dash indicators? I thought on newer cars you could read codes with a jumper and meter or by observing the check engine light flash. My 90 Grand Marquis Wagon has a way to do this.

How about testing the ISC, is there a recommended method or is usually a replace and see approach.

As for the warranty, I thought that was longer than the 36K mechanical, but I need to check my manual.

Old 08-13-03, 10:23 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You need a scanner to properly read codes.

Advance might do that type of program with checking codes, worth a call to see.

You'll need a good service manual to test the ISC and other sensors. In lieu of the OEM manual a $25 Alldata.com subscription will work too.