Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Electrical problem

Visiting Guest

08-13-03, 07:55 PM   #1  
SJackson7
Electrical problem

This problem may seem simple, but I've tried everything I know. I have a 91 Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton. My right rear brake and turn signal does not work. The back-up and tail lights do work. I of course changed the bulbs with the correct replacements and I even changed the whole light bulb system (where the bulbs plug into) just in case it was bad. I also checked fuses and wire connections, but I am unable to solve the problem. I hope that someone knows a quick fix. Thanks for any help you can give!

Sponsored Links

08-13-03, 08:24 PM   #2  
you probably have a bad turn signal switch in the steering column you can test it with a test light at the switch connector at the base of the column, however a wiring diagram of the circuit would help you test the appropiate wires to see if you have any power coming out of the switch to the brake or signal that isnt working.

Visiting Guest

08-14-03, 07:14 AM   #3  
autotech156
I believe there is a printed circuit board on the light assembly that does go bad.

Visiting Guest

08-14-03, 07:40 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Very true. I believe he said he changed it? (Original poster???)

Visiting Guest

08-14-03, 08:45 PM   #5  
SJackson7
Still a problem

Yes, sorry. I did change the board that the bulbs plug into. I also checked the turn signal switch and did not find a problem. The odd thing is, my front right turn signal works, but of course blinks at a faster rate. It would do this if a bulb was out, but those have been changed many times. Could there be a short in a wire that would only cause the brake and turn signal to go out? Thanks.

08-14-03, 09:19 PM   #6  
yes there could be a short or open in the wire going to the rear turn signal / brake light if you have an ohm meter you can check resistance from your turn signal switch connector to the rear bulb socket that isnt functioning, you will probably have to use a jumper wire as most ohmeter leads are not that long a good wire should read 10 ohms or less, higher than that and there is a problem.
if you have a trailer connector on the vehicle check at where the trailer connector was spliced in for corrosion or a broken wire, also check any connectors for corrosion going to the rear lights.
check for a good ground at the light socket this could be done using a testlight or ohmeter by hooking the test light to positive on the battery and seeing if it lights when touched on the socket, or by checking resistance with an ohmeter hooked to negative on the battery to the socket once again it should be less than 10 ohms.
are you certain you checked the signal switch correctly as both the brake and the signal run through the switch the dual filament bulb in your rear lights one filament is for tail lights the other filament is both your brake and your signal which is why it is running through the signal switch one wire controls both functions.

's Avatar
Visiting Guest

08-14-03, 10:13 PM   #7  
you beat me to it bejay---i was having trouble logging in tonight.

the first thing i check anymore is the tie-in for the trailer wiring, whenever there is any lighting problem and a bulb doesn't fix it, i immediately disconnect the customer's installed bird's nest of wiring for the hitch.

i've even been burned before by the factory connector for the hitch--the customer never had a hitch installed, ever---yet the factory connector, still tucked safely inside the body was rubbing on sheet metal and finally wore through and let one wire short to ground.

this wasn't a chevy though, and might not even apply to you---but it is something to not forget(i won't anymore)

Visiting Guest

08-15-03, 01:40 AM   #8  
Joe_F
I've also seen where dirt got into an unused factory connector causing a gazorch.

I agree with all others.

Search this Thread