Voltage Requlator?

Old 08-14-03, 09:47 AM
Antony W. Serio
Visiting Guest
Voltage Requlator?

I have a 2000 Hyundai Elantra, with 118K miles. The car was siting for about two weeks while I was on vacation. When I started her up this morning, I noticed that the dashboard lights and headlights were yelowish and very dim, although none of the idiot lights were lit. I also had very bad static on the radio. After driving a few miles, the lights suddenly became very bright and the static went away. The dashboard lights were so bright that I could see the outline of the bulbs through the gauges. After a few more miles, everything returned to normal.

I am thinking that I may have had some condensation in or around the voltage regulator which caused it to go squirley for a while. This is the first time that the car has done anything like this. Is there any way to know if the regulator was permanently damaged, short of it giving up the ghost entirely?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-03, 09:51 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Probably a low charging condition from sitting or the battery is on the way out perhaps....

If it's a type where you have to add water or has caps, check the level, it may be down some. Those batteries are worthless to me, a Delco Freedom battery is far superior and lasts longer .

Search this Thread