Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

car ignition lock

08-14-03, 07:38 PM   #1  
car ignition lock

97 bonneville is very hard to put the ignition back into the lock position in order to withdraw the key. In addition, very hard to go to the start position from the lock position. What's the problem?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-15-03, 01:43 AM   #2  
Joe_F
Try another key, the one you are using may be worn out.

Generally, that's a lock cylinder problem. Also, make sure the car is fully in park (jiggle the shifter). If not, the lock may be tough to move.

08-15-03, 12:30 PM   #3  
I tried my other key. No Luck. I actually moved the shifter to neutral and park positions to see if that was the problem. No luck. Any other suggestions?

Visiting Guest

08-15-03, 12:35 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Sounds like a bad lock cylinder to me.....

08-15-03, 02:32 PM   #5  
I went to drive the car to a locksmith to get his opinion. The gear shifter didn't feel "right" in my hand. Something didn't feel right with the gear shifter knob. Upon further examination, it appeared the release button was not extended fully. I pushed it in and went through the gears fine. I pushed it in and kind of pryed it downward on the release. The button extended out another 1/4 of an inch. I then tried the ignition key and it was working fine. How crazy!!

08-15-03, 02:36 PM   #6  
Well seems crazy but the brake transmission shift interlock system is a federal law for vehicles.

Visiting Guest

08-15-03, 03:21 PM   #7  
Joe_F
LOL.

As I mentioned in the first post, "Make sure it's fully in park". That includes the shifter button being out where it should be.

Happened to my mother on our 1980 Trans Am back in 1983. Drove my dad nuts as it was stuck at my grandfather's a mile away.

I remember saying, "Hey Dad, here's the problem. The shifter button with the Firebird isn't all the way up....click, key came right out "

Search this Thread