car stall after 8 miles on road?

Old 08-15-03, 12:05 PM
sferrara
Visiting Guest
91 cutlas calais stalls after 7-8 miles

My 1991 cutlas calais stalls out after driving 7-8 miles. I can set my watch to it.The last mechanic I went back to 3 times said he couldn't find out why??All the red lights com on there is a strange motor noise the car stalls and will start in park but stalls out in drive. I have to let the car rest for at leat 1/2 hour before it will start up without stalling again...why is this happening?

souzi

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-03, 12:25 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Tough to say without actually seeing the vehicle. It will actually need to happen for it to be found by the shop.

Start with my "The Basics" when it happens the next time.

Old 08-15-03, 12:37 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
If all the red lites are coming on , sure sounds electrical. Alt. maybe is shorting out. Loosen the belt and see if the bearings are nice and smooth. 91's of that era had front bearing problems big time.
Otherwise you need to have a tech drive it for that 8 miles. 15 minutes wont hurt the labor time that much anyhow. Maybe the only way to find the problem.

Old 08-15-03, 02:20 PM
If it is stalling coming to a stop, I'll bet the torque convertor clutch solenoid is keeping the torque convertor applied, kinda like if it was a manual transmission, and you tried coming to a stop in gear with out depressing the clutch. The tell tale here is that it restarts in park but stalls when engaging drive. Try unplugging the TCC electrical connector on the front of the transmission. I think it is blue, has 3 or 4 wires in it, and then drive it, and see if it still stalls.

Old 08-15-03, 03:26 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Rereading it again, I agree with the TCC problem.

It's a square connector at the top of the tranny. (if you have a THM125C 3 speed).