94 Gr. Caravan P.W. problem

Old 08-15-03, 04:36 PM
94 Gr. Caravan P.W. problem

Hi,
I have gone thru all of the old threads about power window problems but would still like to ask this.

I have intermittant problems with the power windows not working. They dont work more than they do. Either both work or they both dont. You can be holding the switches to both windows and one minute they dont work and the next they do.

Is there a relay or something that both windows are connected to? BCM? It doesn't seem to help banging the door or switch.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-03, 07:45 PM
Does it matter what switches you use? My 93' Town & Country driver side switches got just a little wet and tripped out like that and had to replace the whole thing and when I took the old one out you could see where the water shorted it.

Old 08-15-03, 08:12 PM
Visiting Guest
good advice from mattison.

nothing sticks out as a common problem on this year, they were pretty reliable. i'm pretty sure the windows aren't affected by the body controller(bcm). both windows are fed from one power source, which feeds right through the driver's switch, no relays i can think of, the switches are your 'manual' relays(you're pushing the actual contacts).

i would unplug the driver's switch , look for corrosion, then with your testlight, look for a constant power wire (i don't know wire colors off the top of my head)

if both windows work and don't work simultaneously, that would eliminate the passenger switch, and lean towards a driver's switch or the power feed.

most anything with high miles can develop a cracked wire in either door jamb, usually the driver's door though(it's used most) try gently moving the wiring harness bundle while actuating the switches, i've seen the wire break inside the insulation, so the slightest movement can reconnect the wire ends

let us know what you find

Old 08-16-03, 03:03 AM
Ok ,thanks, I'll give it a try.

Old 08-16-03, 04:56 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
How does the switch "feel"? Sometimes the switches get dirty/old as mentioned and they don't make good contact.

Many switches on cars of recent years are pretty cheap plastic and being ten years old, they fatigue.

Mike gave you some excellent advise, so start there.

Old 08-16-03, 08:37 AM
well, I took the switch apart (drivers side)and cleaned it. It actually looked really good but I lightly sanded the contacts anyway. There was no corrosion to speak of.Re-assembled and it still didn't work. Noticed the plug didn't seem to fit tightly so upon playing with the wires found one that was kind of loose. (black one,ground?) The way I fixed it was by slightly bending all six prongs on the plug ,which tightened it up when pressed back together ,and wallah it works now.

Thanks for for the help.

Ps:Its great when repairs don't cost anything!

Old 08-16-03, 11:05 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Close enough .

Good job.