Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

What is the future of AC in cars??

Visiting Guest

08-16-03, 12:40 PM   #1  
Spursfan
What is the future of AC in cars??

I was wondering if anyone out there has come across literature suggesting that Freon(used in car AC) is a controlled substance, and that the supplies that are currently in use are remnants from what was manufactured over a decade ago. In other words, it is getting more and more expensive to use freon as supplies dwindle. My question is, are they gonna remanufacture more when supplies run out, or is there an alternative technology for car AC's in the think-tank(or pipeline)? In any case, is anyone even considering something that is less demanding on the gas consumption? Joe, I know you'll have a smart answer for this! I am all ears!!

Sponsored Links

08-16-03, 12:45 PM   #2  
r-134a is quite available and is becoming more and more reasonably priced. If you have r-12 in your system, have it converted over. Know that the r-134a doesn't cool as well as the r-12, you're gonna lose about 4 degrees.

Visiting Guest

08-16-03, 01:30 PM   #3  
darrell McCoy
Yep, even residential and commercial units are going to alternatives.

Visiting Guest

08-16-03, 03:24 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Sure ya didn't mean a smartass answer? LOL.

A couple of things:

1) R134A is "better" for the enviornment than R12, but it's no enviornmentalist's dream. I believe it is still a cloroflorhydrocarbon, but just does less damage to the ozone. I work with a guy that thinks the whole R12 ozone depletion thing is a game and a fallacy.

If you think about it, how many vehicles come to you (if you're a tech) with working and full systems? Very few. Most are EMPTY. The car owner doesn't even know that he/she has let the gas out into the air . (not that you could know per se. LOL).

2) Anytime you have replacements like this, they are usually "phase ins/outs". Take leaded gas for instance. It just didn't disappear--cars simply were built to run on no-lead starting in the late 60's/early 70's, effectively phasing it out around 1986 or so.

3) There's a lot at work here. You have the enviornmental folks jumping up and down, yet you have the car makers screaming that if you cut off the use of this gas, I have nothing to use in its place, a burden on the consumer, blah blah, blah. Also, the makers of those refrigerants probably have BIG lobby support in Washington to "delay" the phase out. Politics, money, etc. Take it all in stride.

4) I'm not keenly aware of replacements on the drawing board, but I'm sure if you search www.google.com you'll get plenty of reading material .

Hope that answers your question somewhat .

WV

08-16-03, 08:13 PM   #5  
I have heard that the complete phase out of R12 is supposed to be complete by either 2006 or 2008. But who knows really. I will believe it when they come take my cylinder away.
Billy

Visiting Guest

08-17-03, 04:58 AM   #6  
Joe_F
Original poster:

What is your actual question? LOL.

Phase out of R12 (meaning it's illegal to have/use/possess)?

A/C refrigerants in general? (Freon is a trademark for Dupont R12...the proper term is R12 refrigerant, as other companies make it too---Sercon, Interdynamics, etc).

If automakers are going to something completely different?

I'm not sure of the actual question after rereading it and answering. LOL

Search this Thread