Draining fuel tank

Old 08-16-03, 01:10 PM
Draining fuel tank

1984 Chevy C10 full-sized pickup. I am removing the fuel tank and have been told I need to drain it first. Can you give me detailed, step-by-step instructions as the best way to do this? (draining the tank. It has around 1/4 a tank in it). I am very mechanical but somewhat a rookie to the automotive side. This will be the first time for removing/draining a fuel tank; please be specific.

Thank you and take care,

CoolBreeze

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-03, 03:06 PM
if all you are doing is removing the tank i dont see any reason why you would have to drain it if its only 1/4 full if you are changing the tank it would be easier to drain it after its out of the vehicle.

Old 08-16-03, 03:11 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Agree.

Get a helper, two floor jacks and some blocks of wood. Jack up on the tank with the block of wood on top of the jack saddle.

Loosen the straps and then using the jacks, slowly lower the tank out of the vehicle and slide it out. You can then pour the old gas out of the fuel tank through the filler neck of the tank.

You could use an electric fuel pump to suck the fuel out, but frankly there is more of a danger of sparks that way.

Old 08-16-03, 04:06 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Also for safety sake you might consider plenty of ventilation and disconnect the battery. If you use a dropcord, should be approved for use around flammable material.

Old 08-16-03, 05:27 PM
Draining Fuel Tank

Thanks guys!! I could see no reason for draining it before removal and since I have complete trust in the knowledge/advice here, I chose to ask y'all for ease of mind. Looks like I made a good decision.

As for safety issues, there is not a battery in it, it's outside in the driveway and no electrical lights/tools will be used.

It is being removed to be cleaned out, any suggestions there ? No gas is getting to the fuel pump and when you remove the fuel tank cap, the rank smell will overwhelm you. It has not been cranked/drove in about 2 years. Have already taken care of the carb., fuel pump and fuel lines. This is the final step to complete the project.

Thanks again, take care.

CoolBreeze

Old 08-16-03, 06:45 PM
might as well check the sending unit while you have it out it may be bad as well along with any rubber hoses that have rotted.

Old 08-16-03, 07:15 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
After you remove the float/sender unit, you can probably see inside the tank fairly decent to get a general idea of condition.
Other than a little varnish, I would gamble the tank is OK. If you have not turned the engine over, might want to consider changing oil/filter and perhaps dropping about 1 tsp of oil in each cyl. Turn it over a few times and install plugs.

Old 08-16-03, 08:07 PM
Fuel Tank

Thanks again guys. Should I put anything in the tank to clean it out and if so, what do you suggest. It has been turned over on several occasions up to present, but it hasn't fired up in about 2 years. I would put a battery in it, crank it and move it around the yard as needed. I last moved it by driving/running it in 2001. Last year I went to do this and suddenly it would not start, but turned over fine. Since then I have been pushing and/or pulling it to move it and trying to find the problem as my limited time allowed.

I finally traced the problem to the tank foward to the pump as the culprit(s). I decided to revamp the fuel system since it has set up and I wish to sell it and don't want any callbacks on it. Carb., fuel pump and lines were no problem as I've did them all before, but this was my first time of needing to remove a fuel tank.

What I found was that it would turn over with power, but not start. Checked pressure line at carb., it was dry. Checked pump outlet, it was dry. Checked suction line from tank to pump entrance, it was dry at pump end. No fuel was making it to the pump from the tank. The pump was already tested and was good. I figured after going this far, I would just replace the fuel line and remove /check/clean the tank, filler neck area hoses, sending unit and so on.

It always fired up with a few taps of the gas pedal, then all of a sudden it wouldn't start and hasn't since, but always turns over strongly.

Thanks again for ALL the help. Take care.

CoolBreeze

Old 08-17-03, 05:04 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You're pretty honest for selling a vehicle. LOL

Take the tank to a radiator shop and have them boil it out. Not costly, and a selling feature to the new buyer, "Look, I'm particular about this stuff---the truck sat, so to avoid any problems, I had it boiled out by a shop, professionally).

Clean out the fuel lines with compressed air and replace any rubber lines you can---they are probably gummed with goo from the truck sitting around.

The carburetor may be wasted due to rotten fuel sitting in the bowl, so prepare yourself for a rebuild.

Basically, once you clean it all out and put in fresh gas, you should be OK .

Old 08-17-03, 07:26 PM
Fuel Tank

Thanks Joe!!! I enjoy going to sleep at night with a clear conscious, therefore honesty is a way of life for me. I also don't believe in in only going half-way on a job and really believe in the motto that if it's worth doing, it's worth doing right. If I sell it, it WILL be in the condition that I would want if I were buying it.

That being said, that's why I LOVE this site, cause I feel we're alot alike!!

Carb., Pump and lines have already been taken care of. The tank and things directly connected to it is all that's left.

Thanks for all the info and help. No matter how easy it may seem, I will always ask to be sure if I haven't done it before. That eliminates alot of problems and makes the job smoother. This has been a breeze due to the great people here.

Thanks agin and take care.

CoolBreeze

Old 08-18-03, 03:48 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

No problem. Let us know where it nets you after it's all done.