Will not start under hot sun ok when cold

Old 08-16-03, 07:14 PM
islandermike
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Will not start under hot sun ok when cold

I have a 1991 Honda Accord with 140,000 miles that sometimes will not start if the car has been sitting in the hot California sun. In the morning or later in the day when it has cooled off, it will start. I have replaced the distributor, spark plug wires, spark plugs and rotor. What should I do to identify and correct problem? I have read in the forum that someone had this same problem but nothing was mentioned if it was corrected or not. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-03, 05:18 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Whoa Nelley.

STOP! Do not change parts without testing them first. You've already spent more than is probably necessary by doing this.

Next time it won't start, tell us whether it lacks spark or fuel. Refer to my "The Basics" post for more information.

The main relay is also a problem on some cars, but you must narrow down the problem a bit first!

Old 08-17-03, 07:31 AM
islandermike
Visiting Guest
I forgot to say that it will crank but not start. I also checked for spark but there was none during mid day.

Old 08-17-03, 08:37 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Possible ignitor or coil problem, but again, you must check them first.

Use autolibrary in my link below to guide you.

Old 08-18-03, 05:26 AM
I have an 87 Accord and had exactly the same problem. It was the main relay. It is very common pattern failure on these cars.

http://techauto.tripod.com/mainrelay.htm

Search this Thread