Malfunction Indicator Light

Old 08-17-03, 12:44 PM
Malfunction Indicator Light

Last night I got a brand new 2003 Hyundai Accent 1.6 liter.Today I noticed the "Malfunction Indicator Light" stays lit up. Anybody know what that means?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-03, 01:01 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Means back to the dealer to have them correct the problem at no charge.

Sounds like the check engine light which means there's an emission failure in the system. Get it fixed without delay.

Old 08-17-03, 10:25 PM
Thank you I will do that! Is it safe to drive it 50 miles back?

Old 08-18-03, 03:42 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Call the dealer and ask 'em to put yourself on top. They may choose to send a tow truck for it and save you the trip one way .

You don't have to return to where you bought the vehicle. Go to the nearest Hyundai dealer.

Old 09-09-03, 11:23 PM
It was also slipping out of gear after i posted previous message. They had to put a whole new transmission in it , must have been one of them weekend cars where they try to get everything done in a hurry for the weekend. I hope that takes care of it.

Old 09-10-03, 06:26 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Keep a log of all your problems and receipts.

In this fashion if there is future trouble, you have proof and recourse. Unfortunately, Hyundai has had to really up their warranty and promote it so as to restore their image here in the States. They pulled out some years ago due to bottom barrel product quality. They have returned with a vengeance, but offer a long warranty to bolster consumer confidence that they will not pull the plug again.

Old 09-10-03, 11:00 PM
Today when we were bringing it home that daggone light lit up again and stays lit although it seems to drive alright.It does seem to rev high going through the gears but maybe that just the nature of this engine i really don't know.

Old 09-10-03, 11:50 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
sounds like that 'whole new transmission' didn't fix it, or wasn't the problem in the first place.

give them another try, then once more (3 total) then you have a perfect case for a lemon law(3 attempts at 'one' problem) the problem has to seriously hinder the cars performance or safety or value(or something like that) i think this qualifies for all three.

there should be a supplement in your owner's manual outlining the requirements (lemon law)and steps to follow, read it thoroughly.

you better be on the phone with the dealer tomorrow morning

didn't you test drive this before you bought it

Old 09-11-03, 01:32 AM
Yeah and it worked just fine during the test drive.

Old 09-11-03, 03:56 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree with Mike.

Keep copious records of all dealer transactions so you can easily prove your side when the time comes to send this sucker back to them and get your money refunded.

Old 09-18-03, 06:32 PM
They said they forgot to hook up the O2 senser, I'm assuming that is the oxygen sensor?Everything seems to be alright for now.

Old 09-19-03, 05:51 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Yes 02 sensor=oxygen sensor. That's bad news that they "forgot" to hook it up.

I think I'd bring this to another dealership in the future. This one sounds like they don't have a clue.