rear diff filler plug on 94 Suburban frozen

Old 08-17-03, 06:36 PM
daveblan
Visiting Guest
rear diff filler plug on 94 Suburban frozen

I have a 94 suburban 4x4 with a 350, In trying to do some maintinence this week I tried to remove the filler plug from my rear differential. I sprayed it with penetrating oil the night before and tapped it with a brass drive a few times before trying to remove it with a 3/8 drive extension. Before I realized it I had rounded out the socket. I have removed the rear cover and inspected everything but now I'm stumpped, how am I going to get this thing out of there short of drilling it and using an easy out? Any advice would be great.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-03, 06:58 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
You need a new plug anyhow, try a chisel to work it out. Most of those protrude a little anyhow unless someone pulled a superman on it. I have never done this, but I have seen guys take a 3/8" pc of good square stock or old 3/8" short extension and spot weld it into the "socket" Then use a crecent to remove it.

Old 08-17-03, 07:03 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Bite into the plug the best you can and try to work it loose. As Darrell said, it's wasted so you don't care about what you do to the plug.

Old 08-18-03, 05:35 AM
daveblan
Visiting Guest
Thanks Guys, I'll try your ideas. I figured the plug was history for sure, one more question does anyone make a plug with a stem or head on it instead of a depression, sort of like a standard pipe plug? It seems to me that would be less likely to have this problem. My local auto parts store dosen't carry such a thing if it even if its out there.

Old 08-18-03, 06:07 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A plumbing supply would be your best bet. Make sure you get one with the same exact thread. Bring the pieces of the old one to show the guy.

If you take out the plug periodically, it shouldn't rot out like that .

Old 08-18-03, 06:07 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Haven't seen a Square head plug in some time, they used to use them on man. trans. also, Think they were larger. OEM is just fine if you do not try and over tighten them. I dont believe Pipe threads are the same.