Roaring Noise

Old 08-18-03, 08:03 AM
Roaring Noise

I have a 1991 Olds Delta 88. I just had the cv shafts replace on both sides. When I turn the steering wheel sharply to the left I hear a noise like the wheel is hitting something. The noise is coming from the right wheel well. I aslo hear a constant roaring when you reach 20 mph or above. The faster you go, the louder the roaring. By accident I noticed that if you turn the steering wheel to the right, the noise stopped but not when you turned the wheel to the left. I was traveling on a winding road and when the road curved to the right the noise stopped. I think the problems are connected. I think that something is hitting a tire or tires. The roaring cannot only be heard but also you can feel it through the floorboard more so on the passenger side than on the driver's side. You don't feel it through the steering column and the car handles fine. I think that when you turn the steering wheel to the left, the tire turns out and hits something and it is still hitting something when you are going straight. When you turn the steering wheel to the right, it turns the tire in the opposite direction and frees it from whatever its hitting. I know this sounds crazy but I am just trying to give you a feel for whats happening. What do you think is the problem? I appreciate your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-03, 08:44 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

Have the wheel bearings/hubs checked by a repair shop. It is likely going to be a problem with one of them. Should have been caught when the CV axles were replaced.

Old 08-21-03, 07:16 AM
MMMM YES SOUNDS LIKE A WHEEL BEARING, I WONDER IF THEY TORQUED THE AXLE NUT ADEQUATELY.....

Search this Thread