Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

700r4

Visiting Guest

08-19-03, 07:49 PM   #1  
chevman
700r4

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO MANUALLY HOOK UP TORQUE CONVERTER LOCKUP ON CHEVY 700R4 88'

Sponsored Links

08-20-03, 02:01 AM   #2  
Yes, I'll see if I can dig up the schematic. Whgat year is the trans?

Visiting Guest

08-20-03, 03:27 AM   #3  
Joe_F
I believe there are wiring kits out there to hook this up into other vehicles if that's what you're trying to do.

I want to say Painless Wiring for one has such kits.

Visiting Guest

08-20-03, 05:40 PM   #4  
chevman
IT CAME OUT OF AN 88 ASTROVAN

Visiting Guest

08-21-03, 03:53 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Yes, but what are you trying to accomplish?

Are you retrofitting this to old iron as an upgrade? If so, again, I have seen kits by Painless and others that will wire it up like original.

08-21-03, 10:37 AM   #6  
Here ya go dood Click here

There are other websites too with the correct pressure switch wiring. It's really quite simple. I've done several of them and never had any of them not work. Get yourself a TCC brake switch and if you can obtain a vacuum override switch too that's a plus.

Visiting Guest

08-21-03, 03:06 PM   #7  
chevman
THANKS FOR THE INFO

Visiting Guest

08-21-03, 03:24 PM   #8  
chevman
WHAT I DID WAS TOOK A 4.3 L MOTOR AND 700 TRANS OUT OF AN 88 ASTROVAN AND PUT IT IN MY 89 S10 THAT HAD A 2.8L & STANDARD TRANS IN IT. I USED THE COMPUTER OUT OF THE VAN AND TRACED THE WIRES FROM THE LOCK UP PLUG 2 WENT TO THE COMPUTER 1 WENT TO THE DIOGNOSTIC PLUG AND 1 TO THE BRAKE SIGNAL SWITCH. I HOOKED THEM BACK UP, BUT I DONT THINK THE CONVERTER IS LOCKING UP. ALSO COULD THIS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH IT NOT SHIFTING INTO THIRD AND FOURTH CORRECTLY. WHEN YOUR INTO IT A LITTLE IT WILLNOT SHIFT IT TRIES TO BUT WONT YOU HAVE TO LET ALL THE WAY OFF THE THROTTLE THEN IT SHIFTS FINE. BUT AT EASY TAKE OFFS IT SHIFTS FINE. MAYBE I NEED TO JUNK THIS TRANNY

08-21-03, 04:59 PM   #9  
It sounds like you did not adjust the TV cable properly. This is a critical adjustment! Click Here for TV cable Adjustment

Visiting Guest

08-24-03, 08:24 PM   #10  
chevman
adjit

i adjusted the tv cable it now shifts at higher throttle but when it goes into third the trans slips for a few seconds. i think im gonna go ahead and change it. thank for the detailed answers y. w.

Visiting Guest

08-25-03, 03:32 AM   #11  
Joe_F
Good chance the tranny is finished.

A poorly adjusted TV cable will lunch a 700R4 in a heartbeat.

Coupled with the fact that pre '89 700R4s had weak pumps and I think you may have your answer .

Search this Thread