it s been a while since i ve been on
i own a 1991 dodge caravan(cargo style)
4 cyl, 135000km,
just this week it began to give me problems
i tried to start and it would turn over and run for 5 seconds and die
i tried numerous times and the same thing occurred
i went under the hood and fiddled with things, but no avail
i waited a few more minutes and it started and ran
when i got to my destination about 20 min away i went to back in and soon as i put in reverse and gave gas it stalled again
later that eve i tried to start and same prob, waited 10 min and was ok.
does any one have a clue? it seems as if it s losing it s spark for some reason.

thanx

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-03, 06:13 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check my "The Basics" and tell us if you lack spark/fuel or both.

Common issue on these is a pick up in the distributor. I assume we are talking about a 2.5 liter engine.

The pickup is available at any parts store. Common failure on these.

Old 08-20-03, 07:06 AM
a little more

there is a smell of fuel, so i don t see that as a problem.
the engine does run fine for anywhere between 3 and 10 seconds
so it must be getting spark for a short while
pressing gas does not keep it going
it is a 2.5 litre
the weather is about 70-85 and a little humid if that is a concern
the van has not given me any problems so i have no history on it

i am going to try to read the codes
when you cycle the key 3 times - can you explain this
do you start the van or just to the end before turning over?
fast slow?
then i assume you count the check engine light and count and if there is a long pause that signifies the 2nd number is coming next?

Old 08-20-03, 08:35 AM
codes found

well i got them
12 Battery or computer recently disconnected
13* MAP sensor or vacuum line may not be working

should i worry about 12?
does 13 make sense for the problems i have ?
could it be a vacuum line or can i narrow that down, would this involve ALL vacuum lines to inspect?
i am going to try to locate MAP shortly

Old 08-20-03, 09:03 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Some of these vehicles had a problem where the MAP sensor hose got full of moisture effectively making it run like crap .

Inspect ALL lines and test the MAP sensor. Also, I would inspect the pick up as well. It may be loading up because it's not running correctly, which doesn't mean it's a fuel issue necessarily.

Use autolibrary.org below to guide you in testing the various parts.

Old 08-20-03, 08:34 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
back in the early 90's we were replacing map sensors by the dozens a week. from memory, if the part number is 5227151, it is original, you are very lucky, the part has been updated at least ten times.

first thing is to check the vacuum line closely for cracks and splits, if you have a vacuum guage--all the better, it should read manifold vacuum at idle. then the real test--unplug the electrical connector and try to start it, if it idles (a little rough) but stays running and is drivable---time for a new sensor. if no effect, post back, i'll get voltage readings for the wires to check it more thoroughly

let me know either way.

ps. the map sensor is sometimes bolted to the firewall, or the strut tower. it has one vacuum line and one 3-wire connector going to it, not much bigger than a pack of matches and all black plastic.

is this a turbo engine? procedures are much different for a turbo map sensor(and i've never seen one go bad)

Old 08-22-03, 10:39 AM
hhmmm

well it happened again this morning,
so i unplugged the map sensor, and it ran a little rough
i drove to the parts store to get a new one
but the funny thing when i got out of the store i plugged the old one back and it kept running and i went home
is this normal, does it seem like the sensor or more like a voltage problem
thanx

Old 08-22-03, 11:56 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
How's the vacuum line going to it?

Again, TEST parts before damning them as being bad otherwise it will cost you and still not solve the problem .

Old 08-22-03, 07:01 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
the unplugging of the map sensor 'test' is to see if it will stay running when it normally wouldn't. you shouldn't be driving like this, the engine is using way too much fuel.

when you unplug it, the computer will completely ignore it until the key is turned off then back on(with it plugged back in). it substitutes a value for the sensor, that's why it runs so rough and all the black smoke from the tail pipe, it's assuming way too much fuel. you can plug it back in 20 times---doesn't matter, the computer isn't looking at it.

how does the vacuum line look, from end to end, especially where it plugs into the throttle body---the exhaust manifold and all it's heat is only one inch under this fitting, and the hose over time will turn to stone(petrified). it can easily crack and split and cause this problem too.

if it starts and stalls, no matter how much gas you give it, then you unplug the electrical connector and it THEN idles AND the hose is not split in any way, it's a good bet it's the sensor.

try that

Old 08-29-03, 02:04 PM
working

well it was hard for me to figure out since problem was intermittant, but a couple a days ago it stalled out on me again,
i had the new part in the box and put it on right away and it started and has been fine since, hose looked good, the only thing i did not check was the voltage but the codes i got did not show voltage prob, i hope it s all good now , if anything happens i will re post
thanx guys

Old 08-29-03, 04:14 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
thanks for posting back

it helps everyone