Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Ramcharger won't start

Visiting Guest

08-20-03, 02:15 PM   #1  
doctorl
Ramcharger won't start

I have a 1989 Dodge Ramcharger 150 (engine size 318, I think).
I have had it since January. It has always had a tendency to have a hesitation in the middle of the ignition sequence. Last week it didn't start at all (the starter and battery are both still good). I would appreciate suggestions as to what to check out next.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-20-03, 03:42 PM   #2  
tstokka
there are three basic things that we need to find out.

1. Is there Compression in the cylindars?
2. Is there Spark, and is it a good spark?
3. Is there Fuel?

Once you find out post the reply and we can help.

But from your hesitation problems prior to the no start, I would be leaning towards the Fuel System, either a clogged fuel filter or something like that.

Let us know.

08-20-03, 03:48 PM   #3  
Do you mean the starter lags while cranking the engine? Or the engine hesitates while driving?

If it's the starter lagging I would suggest having a starter draw test performed by a shop or AutoZone if someone there knows how to do it.

Visiting Guest

08-20-03, 07:30 PM   #4  
doctorl
Ramcharger won't start

There is compression, there is spark. The starter was checked out at an O'Reilly Auto Parts store. The lag was while turning the key to start the vehicle. It would begin to turn over, hesitate, then start. Now there is absolutely nothing. If it was only a fuel problem, it would seem that the electrical system would still engage. Is is possible that the problem is simply a bad ignition switch? Thanks for your suggestions.

Visiting Guest

08-20-03, 07:57 PM   #5  
mike from nj
if you have compression and spark at all the wires--good sign

remove the air filter and spray a flammable carb cleaner, brake parts cleaner or even wd-40 into the throttle body. give it a good 5 second spray and then try to start it. if you had no fuel pressure or injector pulse, this will start it (temporarily).

if it does start with the spray, look for voltage and a good ground at the fuel pump connector wires. should be 12 volts with the engine cranking only.

let us know where you get with this

Visiting Guest

08-21-03, 03:49 AM   #6  
Joe_F
I agree, but your description is still a little vague.

Are you stating the thing will crank all day and just never start? Or it sometimes will fail to crank in the middle of turning the key?

08-21-03, 05:01 PM   #7  
I think he is saying it starts hard, like a heat soaked starter or over advanced ignition timing.

Visiting Guest

08-26-03, 06:13 PM   #8  
doctorl
Ramcharger won't start

It has been hectic and today is the first day I have had to try some of the suggestions that have been posted. I sprayed WD40 into the carburator and nothing happened. I am convinced that the problem is electrical. Is it possible that the starter is bad even though it checked out on the tester at the parts store? Is there a way to check out if the problem is with the starter switch? I am ready to give up and let the pros sort it out.

Visiting Guest

08-26-03, 06:18 PM   #9  
mike from nj
if you have a carburetor on that truck, you have more problems than you know

08-26-03, 06:20 PM   #10  
You may have to call around a little, and pay a little, but most repair shops have a machine that will not only show about the battery and alternator, but show the amp draw of the starter while the starter is still installed on the car/truck. (Old time machine was called a Ferret 40) Many times "bench testing" doesn't put the same load and stress on the starter is the truck itself does..Including the heat that's on the starter from a hot engine..The shop should also be able to tell what the correct amp draw for your truck is..

Search this Thread