Ignition Switch problem

Old 08-21-03, 12:46 PM
ExploreFlorida
Visiting Guest
Cool Ignition Switch problem

My 1990 Cad. Eldo has a quirk in the ignition switch. I have to adjust the steering wheel to it's lowest position before I can get it to crank and start.

Is there some adjustment that can be made? It won't crank at any other position.

The upside is that it acts as a great security device. The downside is that one day it may not start in any position.

Anybody have a clue? The service manual dosesn't mention anything about it.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-03, 01:05 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
What service manual are you using? If it's not a GM one, it's of very little use on an issue like this.

Sounds like something is grounding out or being pulled out of position when the wheel is tilted. Check the ignition switch, rack and wiring connected to it. Have someone move the wheel up and down while you look in there to see what goes on.

Old 08-21-03, 02:11 PM
ExploreFlorida
Visiting Guest
Cool

I have the original Helms Service Manual for the 1990 Eldo. I also have the Alldata CD that I purchased when I bought the car.

Neither provides information on the ignition switch other than schematics and some general instructions on removing it etc. Not much more.

My experience has been that for the most part, the Helms manuals have deteriortated down to high level how-to's and not much else. The costs have risen substantially. I paid $49 for my 1976 Eldo manual and $100 for the 1990 manual. The 1976 manual was infinitly better.

If I do purchase another manual it will be the parts manual showing all the pieces and their relationships. I can do the rest with little assistance.

Thanks for your quick reply.

Old 08-21-03, 03:00 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Helm has little to do with the quality of the manual, as they only print what GM compiles .

GM Service compiles the manual. Not in all cases can it give every scenario, in which case you have to use your thinking cap.

GM hasn't published parts books in years. You'd have to find someone with an old copy. Otherwise, you can get it on microfiche from Bell and Howell/Proquest.

I always buy my service manuals used, same book, better price.

Old 08-21-03, 08:34 PM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
a friend of mine's pickup did that, turned out to be the tilt mechanism. once you get the wheel off and all the guts in there there are 4 torx head bolts that needed tightening. I put some loc-tite on them so I wouldn't have to tear it apart again.

good luck

Old 08-21-03, 09:39 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
what an excellent anti-theft feature!!!!

who needs alarms, the club, lo-jack??

just leave the windows down, keys in the ignition and the wheel tilted all the way up----they'll never get this thing!!

it could definitely be the 4 torx screws loosened up, but mine loosened up and it always started. it was an eye opening experience though as one of the screws came out and jambed the column as i was driving, a definite pucker moment!!

if this also has the long rod that goes down to the bottom of the column where the actual ignition switch is, it is a very easy adjustment to slide the switch up slightly, just be sure to have it in park and the e-brake on fully, too quick of an adjustment might start it when you aren't ready.

let us know it this applies to you.

Old 08-22-03, 06:56 AM
YOU'LL WANT TO LOWER THE STEERING COLUMN, THE IGNITION SWITCH IS ON THE TOP OF THE COLUMN, ABOUT A FOOT DOWN FROM THE TILT MECHANSIM.THE DIMMER SWITCH USES SOME OF THE ATTACHING SCREW(THERE ARE 2) TAKE THE DIMMER SWITCH OFF AND THEN LOOSEN THE OTHER IGNITION SWITCH SCREW AND SLIDE THE SWITCH UP A LITTLE BIT TOWARDS THE STEERING WHEEL , THEN TIGHTEN.MAKE SURE THE DIMMER SWITCH ROD DOESN'T SLIDE OUT OF THE ACTUATOR(THE PART THE TURN SIGNAL LEVER MOVES.)SKILL MIGHT BE HIGHER THAN AVERAGE TO ACCOMPLISH THIS REPAIR.
PS THE SWITCH PROBABLY DID NOT GO OUT OF ADUSTMENT BY ITSELF, AND THE SWITCH IS ON THEWAY OUT.HAVE A NEW SWITCH TO PUT IN IF U ARE GOING TO GO THROUGH THIS TROUBLE.

Old 08-31-03, 04:14 AM
ExploreFlorida
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Well, Mike from N.J. and BigGuy seem to have the answer. There is a rod down the steering column that actuates the switch .

I will study the setup carfully before deciding whether I should try my hand or farm the work out, airbags being a consideration.

Thanks for the tip folks.

Old 08-31-03, 04:24 AM
ExploreFlorida
Visiting Guest
One other thought. Awhile back, the dimmer switch came loose and I had it put back when I had the hood hinges re-welded(one broke loose)

The switch began acting strange shortly thereafter. It was not so pronounced but it has gotten worse over time.

BigGuy's tip on the ignition and dimmer switch sharing the same screw lit my lamp. This time, it'll be the A.S.E guy rather than the body shop man who gets to fix it.

Thanks again to all.