side airbags and removing door panels

Old 08-21-03, 09:17 PM
side airbags and removing door panels

Hi-

I have a '98 M3 sedan with side airbags in the driver and passenger side front doors, although this question applies to any car with side airbags in the doors. If I want to remove the door panels in order to make a repair, what do I do so that I don't accidentally set off that side air bag and injure myself while I have my head in the vicinity of the panels? Is it enough to just take the neutral lead off the battery as my BMW service manual suggests? Should I disconnect the battery entirely from the car? What safety precautions should I follow?

Thanks,
Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-03, 09:50 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
follow the service manual exactly, word for word.

you might just do physical damage to the air-bag, i couldn't see setting one off unless you took the sensors and module and tripped them at the same time.

on the cars i work on, the service manual reads to unplug and completely isolate(no accidental contact) the negative terminal and wait two minutes, until the capacitors are fully disharged, then there is no chance of an accidental deployment.

keep on reading(the manual)!!

Old 08-22-03, 03:42 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I'd just take the battery completely out. In that fashion, there's no way the terminal could find its way back on when you are working there .

Follow the manual to a T, as suggested.

Old 08-22-03, 06:05 AM
thanks!

Thanks for your responses!