Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Hard To Start

Visiting Guest

08-23-03, 05:19 AM   #1  
lcam
Hard To Start

I HAS A 86' HONDA ACCORD, HAS NOT START FOR LITTLE OVER A YEAR. I DECIDE START IT UP AND GET IT FOR SALE.
I HAD TO POUR LITTLE GAS INTO A CARBURETOR TO GET IT START
BUT IT WON'T HOLD THE IDLE, UNLESS I HOLD ON TO THE GAS AND CONSTANT POUR GAS TO THE CARBURETOR.
WHAT SHOULD I DO?
THE OLD GAS STILL ANY GOOD OR I NEED TO DRAIN THE OLD GAS OUT AND PUT NEW GAS IN?
ANY SUGGESTIONS WILL APPRECIATE.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-23-03, 03:38 PM   #2  
Joe_F
The gas in the tank is trash. It may have damaged the carburetor---sounds like rebuild time...

Visiting Guest

08-23-03, 03:55 PM   #3  
tstokka
it could have formed varnish on your fuel filters too. might want to change them. check your fuel pressure too.

WV

08-23-03, 06:02 PM   #4  
Something else worth mentioning here is that if you are having to dump fuel into the carb while trying to keep it running, you could very easily have a fuel pump problem as well.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Visiting Guest

09-04-03, 08:43 AM   #5  
lcam
what i did found out yesterday (looks like there is no fuel flow in carburator):
disconnect fuel line (line to carburator), turn ignition and start
the engine, there is fuel flow thru the line.
reconnect fule line (lien to carburator), turn ignition and start
the engine, look inside carburator (with air cleaner cover off)
did not see any fuel flow thru caburator mouth.
disconnect fuel line (line to carburator), turn ignition and start
the engine, place a fuel line on top of the carburator to let the
carb. soap up a little bit, then it started.

does this mean the caburator is gummed up on the inlet? carburator need service (rebuilt)?

any advise will be appreciate..

Visiting Guest

09-04-03, 09:11 AM   #6  
Joe_F
If you dump fuel into it and it runs, that's a carburetor problem. Likely gummed up.

These are not for the faint of heart to rebuild. They are quite hard to do and there's a zillion vacuum lines on them which are easily screwed up.

Sometimes you can get away with a top half rebuild, but all reality it will probably not run correctly or run well for very long.

Suggest it be professionally rebuilt for best results.

WV

09-04-03, 03:55 PM   #7  
You could simply have a stuck needle and seat not letting fuel into the bowl, or the float is stuck.
Billy

Search this Thread