wheel locks

Old 08-23-03, 10:02 AM
firstshift
Visiting Guest
wheel locks

Folks:

Bought a 2000 CRV. I am the third owner. Car has wheel locks on it. Dealer d/n have key, said I would need an impact wrench. Is there another way?
Thanks,
Firstshift

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-03, 10:52 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Might try a lock smith and get lucky. Usually when key is lost, nuts must be removed with force and you normally destroy the
mechanism. Seen some dealers with a big ring of keys, sometime they get lucky also and can remove it. Did you look in trunck area good, could be it is in spare tire well.

Old 08-23-03, 02:14 PM
You can also check around your local tire stores. We have a lock removal kit, that will (with an impact) take off almost any locking lug nut. Purchase either standard lug nuts, or your own locking lug nuts before having the old ones renewed.

Old 08-23-03, 03:32 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If the locks are McGard's, make a trace pattern of it with a crayon or marker and sent it to them and they can probably find a key for it. Look for a decal on the spare tire area, sometimes they have a sticker with codes there (if the owner was diligent enough to install it---I always do).

Old 08-23-03, 06:11 PM
if it is just a smooth lug nut with the funky looking key in the top then take a socket that will just fit over the edge of the lug and a BIG hammer and pound the socket on. Not too far as you will have to get it back off to get the other 3 off. Then take an impact or a long ratchet and take them off. If you have a bargain tool store near you like Harbor Freight or Northern Tool go there and inquire about a wheel lug removal kit. I think I paid like $29.00 for mine and it is the same thing Snap On/Mac/Cornwell sell on their truck. It works wonderful. I have used mine many times.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Old 08-23-03, 10:00 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
i've done both of what billy just said. there is a socket that will remove almost all wheel locks, it has sharp teeth inside that grips the metal tight. it works like magic

there's also a poor man's version of that socket, a craftsman 3/4 12 point deep socket, hammer it on very tight and take a ratchet and remove your wheel lock, then take it back to sears to get a new one. this also works like magic, and is why my socket is brand new.

in the worst case scenario, i've had to do this only twice, take a 1/2 inch drill bit, the sharper the better, and start drilling right in the middle, when you reach the bottom of the lug nut, the outer shell will pop right off. a new wheel stud is cheaper than a new rim. (this will take a while to do!!)

let us know, even if you are about to steal some rims(ha ha)

Old 08-26-03, 01:29 AM
william h
Visiting Guest
tighten the other 3 lugs real tight, strike thr locking lug hard a couple of times with a drift punch and large hammer, it should back off with a pair of pliers, somtimes with your fingers.

Old 08-26-03, 09:09 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I've used Mike's method (thank God for Craftsman's warranty...don't try that with a SnapOn. LOL), but you might want to order up a new key if you can determine if it's McGard's.

Try www.mcgard.com or Look up "McGard Wheel Locks" on www.google.com

Old 08-26-03, 04:43 PM
The wheel lock kit I use has never damaged a wheel lock. I have used it many times when i cant find a customers key or they come into the shop with the exclamation 'I just bought this car and I dont have the lock, can you get them off for me?' LOL.
Billy

Search this Thread