installing auxiliary driving lights

Old 08-23-03, 01:59 PM
GLG
Visiting Guest
Question installing auxiliary driving lights

I just installed a pair of auxilliary driving lights on my vehicle. I want to operate them independently of the headlights or parking lights and therefore I've installed a separate rocker type switch under the dash. The wiring is done and the switch is in place, but I'm not sure where to attach the hot lead in order to get power to the switch. If I run a lead a hot lead from the switch directly to the positive battery post, it blows my inline 30 amp fuse when I flip the switch "on." What is the best way to run the hot wire from the switch in order to power the auxilliary lights?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-03, 03:33 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

It helps to know what type of vehicle you're doing this on.

I ASSUME you are consulting a wiring diagram when doing this job. If not, STOP!!! Obtain one. You shouldn't be doing the job without one.

Old 08-23-03, 03:34 PM
tstokka
Visiting Guest
did the 30 amp fuse come with the lights? Are the lights rated at 30 amps? If it blows your fuse you must have a short in the feed wire to the lights.

going straight from the battery is the best, it wouln't mess with any of the electronics in the car.

Old 08-23-03, 03:43 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Some of these lights pull a lot of amps/voltage. You may have to use a relay. If it is a newer veh, you need to get the proper wireing instructions, you just cant hook onto any 12V wire that is handy.

Search this Thread