61 lincoln sludge in motor

Old 08-23-03, 05:02 PM
daniel
Visiting Guest
61 lincoln sludge in motor

I pulled vavlecovers off motor and it looked like (dirt/sand) but I believe it is burnt oil. How do I go about flushing/Cleaning the motor without pulling the motor?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-03, 05:49 PM
what color is this "sludge"?
Billy

Old 08-23-03, 07:19 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
On an old piece of vintage iron like that, you could probably run some kerosene mixture through it, but chances are, it's time for a rebuild.

Alternatively, if you scoop out the caked sludge with a shopvac and continuously change the oil, you will "flush" it out. Be forewarned that clogging the engine journals is a real possibility making a rebuild mandatory.

Old 08-23-03, 09:54 PM
daniel
Visiting Guest
lincoln

Originally posted by billys68ss
what color is this "sludge"?
Billy
it's black and like dirt w/ oil mixed in it

Old 08-23-03, 10:02 PM
Daniel..... This stuff can be easily cleaned from the top of the cylinder heads, but to truly get it out of the engine it will take alot of effort and elbow grease. As Joe mentioned you can scoop out the big stuff on top, and then replace the valve covers and run an engine cleaner through it. They are mostly kerosene and if you have K1 (white) kerosene local to your area then you can save yourself a couple of bucks and put about a quart of K1 in there and run it for 10 minutes then drain it. Repeat this several time to do a thorough job. You will likely get most of the big stuff loosened up and the soft stuff in the pan, just be careful and keep your eyes on the oil pressure. Then change your oil VERY regularly.
Have Fun and Hope thid helps,
Billy

Old 08-23-03, 10:04 PM
daniel
Visiting Guest
lincoln

Originally posted by billys68ss
Daniel..... This stuff can be easily cleaned from the top of the cylinder heads, but to truly get it out of the engine it will take alot of effort and elbow grease. As Joe mentioned you can scoop out the big stuff on top, and then replace the valve covers and run an engine cleaner through it. They are mostly kerosene and if you have K1 (white) kerosene local to your area then you can save yourself a couple of bucks and put about a quart of K1 in there and run it for 10 minutes then drain it. Repeat this several time to do a thorough job. You will likely get most of the big stuff loosened up and the soft stuff in the pan, just be careful and keep your eyes on the oil pressure. Then change your oil VERY regularly.
Have Fun and Hope thid helps,
Billy
thanks alot for everybody's replies

Old 08-23-03, 10:33 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
if the oil pan comes off easy, i would take that off too. all the gunky sludge will dislodge and clog your oil pickup screen in under a minute, guess how long any engine can run without oil(the answer---not long).

don't laugh, i've done this before and it worked----pull the intake manifold, the valve covers, (timing cover) and the oil pan. spray with your choice of cleaner(i used common floor soap) let it soak a while, i then used a pressure washer and sprayed out every nook and cranny, from the top and bottom, crud was spraying everywhere, the engine bay was disgusting(until i pressure washed that later) it took a good 20 minutes, then i used compressed air to remove most of the water, reassembled the engine, ran the engine up to temperature(4 quarts of oil, i quart of ATF in the pan), measured the oil temp as i drained it--220 degrees, enough to boil the remaining water out, added fresh oil one more time and drove the car. the engine was quiet, never lost oil pressure and the lady never came back, maybe it stayed together, maybe it didn't. i couldn't see it NOT staying together. (atf has a lot of detergents in it, and also lubricates--it's basically a '5' weight oil designed for a hydraulic system)

should you do this----it's your decision
have i done this---yes, 96 3.3L caravan (one year ago)
did it work for me---yes
will people look at you funny---maybe
will other people tell you to never do this----probably
will it fix your problem----"i" would try it

i like to do cheap and easy things to fix cars before i do hard and expensive things, it cost the lady an intake manifold gasket, i reused the oil pan and valve cover gaskets+plus a few hours labor(timing cover is too hard).

at the absolute worst for you, you will need an engine rebuild, which is where you are right now. if it works---the engine is fixed!

ps. something this old, and if it never was apart before, would probably need a rebuild anyway, hardened valve seats comes to mind(no leaded gas anymore) as does 1961 technology for rings, pistons, bearings and valve stem seals. food for thought!

keep us informed how this project goes.

Last edited by mike from nj; 08-23-03 at 11:14 PM.