Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Plastic Bumper

OH

08-24-03, 07:57 AM   #1  
Plastic Bumper

Well the wife is in Vegas, and I got the plastic bumper cover off with everyones help. Now I am dealing with a dent that you could cover half of a basketball with, but it did NOT damage the steel channel behind it. (it caught it on the corner.) Now I am thinking that the heat gun and or blow dryer will be necessary to get this popped out, because a small sledge blow will not budge it. Leaving it in this condition is not an option. Is the heat gun the only way to go?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-24-03, 09:44 AM   #2  
Joe_F
It helps to know what type of vehicle we are dealing with and what type of plastic (stamped on the cover usually).

A heat gun will probably take it out to some degree, but it's likely stuck that way. Most times the plastic absorbs the energy and tends to stay like that .

OH

08-24-03, 02:20 PM   #3  
Plastic Bumper

Sorry Joe, I thought I was linked to a previous thread, where I mentioned that the car was a 97 Dodge Intrepid. At any rate, time constraints forced me to take some risks, so I applied the heat to it and started working out the dent from the back side. I wasnt having much success at first but I was getting the plastic to move applying heat to a small area. I then heated the entire area up and just gave it a shove with gloved hands. It snapped back into its original shape almost completely except for one small area. I might try to pop that out with a cheap paintless dent repair tool and the heat gun again. Thanks for responding!

Search this Thread