a/c, heater fan

Old 08-24-03, 02:27 PM
cryer
Visiting Guest
a/c, heater fan

My a/c fan stopped working except on high speed. This happened about 30,000 miles ago and it was some sort of relay or something very simple to fix. Is there a way to find out what is wrong without going to a garage?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-03, 03:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
If we knew the type of vehicle, we might have a chance to help you............

Old 08-26-03, 05:52 AM
cryer
Visiting Guest
a/c heater fan not working- make and model

Oh yeah, the make and model would be a help!!!!
I have a 2000 Mercury villager van. The heater/air fan stopped working one day, except on high. it happened about 30,000 miles ago and I remember it was something very simple, some sort of relay or something like that. Whatever it was, it was something that just needs to be plugged in with little knowlege of cars, once I can get the part. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Old 08-26-03, 06:56 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
A blower motor resistor problem is likely. Have the Ford dealer's parts counter print you out the location and then you can inspect it for burns and electrical problems.

Common problem. If you power up the fan with battery power, does it work?

Old 08-26-03, 09:07 AM
cryer
Visiting Guest
The only time the blower works, whether with the motor running or on battery is on high. When I put it on 1,2,or 3 it does not work. When I turn it onto 4 it blows like crazy.
Thanks!

Old 08-26-03, 09:27 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Ya, that's the classic symptoms of a failed blower resistor.

Old 08-26-03, 09:53 AM
cryer
Visiting Guest
I found a box listed in the maual called a relay box. Is that where the resistors are? It looks like that could be it. It is located next to the battery. Inside there are six plastic boxes, of several different colors. It looks like they just pull out.

If this is it, do I just pull them out, find the burned out one and replace it?
Thanks again.

Old 08-26-03, 10:20 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
No.

Usually, the blower resistor is located on the blower housing, or behind the dash.

Again, have a Ford dealer point it out for you in the parts book. That will tell you where to look. You will likely find a burned terminal on it or crusty terminals when you get it out.

Old 08-26-03, 01:14 PM
cryer
Visiting Guest
forget that last reply. I have the part and the guy at the dealer service center said that indeed is what is is and that is the same part they replaced 30,000 miles ago. Now, they said it was behind the glove box. I opened the glove box and dropped it down, but there still is a plastic face piece in the way. It looks like it is part of the dashboard. How do I access that place? Am I getting into more than I can do?
Help!
Thanks!

Old 08-26-03, 01:16 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You're dealing with the wrong guy over there.

Get the PARTS guy to print you out an exploded view of the part and where it's located. You may be looking in the wrong place.

Usually, it's screwed to the blower case, but it depends on the vehicle.

Get a layout of where it is first before you tear the vehicle apart!

Old 08-26-03, 01:20 PM
cryer
Visiting Guest
I saw the exploded view and talked briefly to the mechanic. He said the blower housing is behind the dash and it just drops down, but I still can't see anything but grey plastic and a few other wires, but not the resistor or the housing. I can just see parts of the housing.
Thanks

Old 08-26-03, 01:50 PM
cryer
Visiting Guest
Check that, not behind the dash, but behind the glove box

Old 08-26-03, 02:50 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Check in autolibrary.org below.

If they don't have 2000, check any year from 1993 up, basically the same thing.

Also, try a Nissan Quest. A Villager is the same thing as a Quest.

Old 08-26-03, 03:27 PM
cryer
Visiting Guest
nothing on the villager or quest at all.

Old 08-26-03, 04:58 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Arrow

If the dealer's illustration doesn't help ya or there's nothing in Autolibrary, time to up 25 bones for an Alldata.com subscription.

Old 08-26-03, 06:04 PM
If you lay on the pasanger side floor, and look up under the dash, (behind the glove box) you should be able to see the resistor. Some models have a plastic "shield" or cover that would have to be removed (3-4 7mm screw along the dront edge, and usually a couple 10mm nuts towards the firewall area..) As you look facing the front of the car (still laying on the passanger floor) you should see the housing for the blower motor on the right side, under the dash. The harness for the blower motor runs between that housing and the evap/heater core housing. Usually, the resistor is mounted on the evap housing(actually mounts through it.) the resistor part is inside, the connector and mounting screws outside...Most of the time, the resistor is mount right at the same level as the metal bar that supports the bottom edge of the dash..Makes it nice and tight to get the resistor out of the hole...