my new truck

Old 08-26-03, 12:28 AM
bowlingpro2501
Visiting Guest
my new truck

Hi guys, how are you all doing? Anyway I just baught a 79 GMC sierra classic 15 camper special. With a 350 in it duel tanks and power windows/locks pw breaks and pw stearing and a AT. It is realy cool and I like it (thats why I baught it) and I only payed $1000 for it. It as I am sure you know it needs some work, the carpets are pretty much shot and it needs a new windsheld(not leagle now) and new frount tires and the breaks need to be addjusted,and small stuff. it has a canopy on it and a tralor hitch. Um I am just wanted to know what I got my self in to? Are they a good truck? ok lately I have been like realy stupid but if I give you my vin number is can you tell me what it means? (TCI449J51214S I hope thats right) I cant wait till I get my licens so I can drive it thanks for your input...matt P.s. sorry about the spelling if its bad. Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-03, 09:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

You've got some of the #s wrong, but here goes :

T=GMC division (the rarer of the two, most are Chevrolets)
C=Convential cab, 2WD
L(not 1)=350 V8
4=15 Series GMC model, 1/2 ton payload
4=Pickup truck body style
9=1979 model year
J=Assembled at Janesville, WI assembly plant (BIG hometown of Chevrolet products!)
512145 (not S)=sequential production series of the vehicle.

Overall, a good choice. You'll have to stick with it in the long haul to make it decent as a truck of this vintage will require some money to get into shape.

Pick up some GM shop manuals from www.helminc.com, Ebay, [email protected], [email protected] or "Dave's Books" on Ebay.

A service manual from GM goes a long way to helping you learn how to fix this machine.

Good luck,

Old 08-26-03, 09:49 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

You've got some of the #s wrong, but here goes :

T=GMC division (the rarer of the two, most are Chevrolets)
C=Convential cab, 2WD
L(not 1)=350 V8
4=15 Series GMC model, 1/2 ton payload
4=Pickup truck body style
9=1979 model year
J=Assembled at Janesville, WI assembly plant (BIG hometown of Chevrolet products!)
512145 (not S)=sequential production series of the vehicle.

Overall, a good choice. You'll have to stick with it in the long haul to make it decent as a truck of this vintage will require some money to get into shape.

Pick up some GM shop manuals from www.helminc.com, Ebay, [email protected], [email protected] or "Dave's Books" on Ebay.

A service manual from GM goes a long way to helping you learn how to fix this machine.

Good luck,

Old 08-28-03, 12:16 AM
bowlingpro2501
Visiting Guest
Hay Joe thank for your help...I love my new truck and I hope I can have it for many years to come. Thanks again....I will be doing some work on it and this site will be the first place to come to if I have any questions...Thanks again...you all do a great job here...Thank you....matt

Old 08-28-03, 03:55 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Good luck to ya.