97 Suburban Transmission

Old 08-26-03, 01:28 PM
zia
Visiting Guest
97 Suburban Transmission

(7 1500 suburban with 350 and a 4L60E transmission. Problem occurs after driving an hour or two. When starting off, it shifts hard from 1st to 2nd only. If you let it sit after driving it will shift fine. the closest dealer if 120 mile away and there are no codes. Said they could only diagnose when it happens. It does not do it all the time. The trans filter has been changed and only have 85,000 miles. Anyone have any thoughts. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-03, 02:00 PM
ARE U SURE THERE ARE NO CODES? CHANCES ARE THAT THERE IS SOME SLIPPAGE OCCURING, WHEN THAT HAPPENS, IT SETS A P1870 CODE, AND LINE PRESSURE IS COMMANDED TO MAXIMUM(THIS IS FOR SELF PRESERVATION). IT USUALLY TAKES SOME SUSTAINED INTERSTATE DRIVING BEFORE THIS HAPPENS. THEN THE 1-2 SHIFT IS HARSH DUE TO THE HIGH LINE PRESSURE. THEN IF U CYCLE THE KEY, THE PROCESS STARTS ALL OVER AGAIN, AND WILL SHIFT NORMALLY UNTIL THE CODE SETS AGAIN DURING THAT KEY CYCLE. THIS MODEL YEAR WAS NOTORIOUS FOR VALVE BODY CONCERNS CAUSING THIS.

Old 08-26-03, 02:48 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I agree.

I also SURELY hope you didn't go 85k before changing the fluid and filter!!!!

Old 08-26-03, 05:12 PM
zia
Visiting Guest
Tks bigguy05641 and Joe F. That is exactly what it does after interstate drive. Now for the remedy, am I looking at a new tranny or is it possible that this one can be cured? When changing filter and fluid, it calls for 5 quarts refill. This shows an over-abundance of fluid on the dipstick. Do I have to much fluid and could this be a cause. Tks

Old 08-26-03, 05:28 PM
its doubtful but you should check it with the engine running and fully warmed up if the fluid is in the cross hatch area it is full.

Old 08-27-03, 08:33 AM
THE FIX IS A NEW VALVE BODY,PROVIDED WHEN THE PAN GETS DROPPED THERE IS NO EVIDENCE OF DAMAGE AND THE FLUID DOES NOT SHOW SIGNS OF OVERHEATING.
FOR U AFTERMARKET GUYS, I HEAR THERE IS A KIT TO REPAIR THE TORQUE CONVERTOR APPLY VALVE IN THE VALVE BODY.BUT I AM A DEALER/OEM KINDA GUY, SO I WOULD SAY VALVE BODY REPLACEMENT.