Wheel Bearing

Old 08-26-03, 08:32 PM
tmkelbel
Visiting Guest
Wheel Bearing

I recently took my 1995 Grand Prix in to have the rear breaks repaired. I had some friends install the front break pads earlier, but I didn't want to bother them with the rear ones. In the process the mechanic.....as usual found several things to repair. He mentioned something about getting the wheel bearing replaced. Well, I didn't get it replaced so he said that I should be hearing a loud growl from the tire, and it's driving me crazy......I don't hear anything! Sounds like normal driving to me. If this wheel bearing does become loud, is this something that is safe for a few college guys (with some car knowledge) to replace?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-03, 08:56 PM
GlassesRx
Visiting Guest
um....I don't recomment it. I had my rear bearings go out on me. I tried to push it and I was lucky that I made it. My wheel was wobbling and I was lucky it didn't fly off on the highway!Sooo, if you don't trust that mechanic...get a second opinion. If you need to get it fixed...i'd say do so.

Old 08-27-03, 03:31 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Fix the wheel bearing if it is bad. If you don't trust the first guy get a second opinion to be sure.

You could probably change the bearing with the right tools and guidance. See if autolibrary.org has anything on it.

Old 08-27-03, 08:49 AM
I THINK YOU WOULD HEAR IT. ALSO, IT'S RATHER UNUSUAL TO SEE A REAR BEARING TO GO BAD ON THE MODEL.
THEY SOUND LIKE A STEADY GROWLING NOISE, WHO'S SOUND WOULD CHANGE WITH VEHICLE SPEED. ALSO DRIVING IN A STRAIGHT LINE, ROCK THE STEERING WHEEL BACK AND FORTH SLIGHTLY TO SHIFT THE WEIGHT OF THE VEHICLE FROM SIDE TO SIDE, IF THE BEARINGS BAD, THE NOISE WILL BE PRESENT IN ONE DIRECTION, AND VIRTUALLY DISAPPEAR IN THE OTHER...

Old 08-31-03, 07:42 PM
Hawger
Visiting Guest
jack wheel up and see if wheel has play in it side to side....up and down Tierods