1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Rear Brakes

Old 08-27-03, 05:20 AM
sdherring
Visiting Guest
Question 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee Rear Brakes

I was wondering if a disc brake conversion on my Jeep would be a good idea. I have drum brakes and want to change them to disc. 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L. Could I get the parts out of a junkyard and what years would work with my application. I went to S.S. Brakes and they wanted $750.00 for the upgrade. Any info would help. Thanks and Go MARINES!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-03, 05:46 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

Get the kit if you are hell bent on this conversion. Don't even sweat the $$$ cut 'em a check and move on with the project.

You will need a ton of parts and half of them will be worthless from a junkyard as I wouldn't trust used parts for brakes.

The rotors and friction will be useless, throw them out. You're buying it for the rear end and brackets basically. Also, the proportioning valve likely differs and if there is ABS, the controllers are different as well, not to mention some of the lines may differ.

In short, not worth it.

Old 08-27-03, 10:17 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
get out the yellow pages, look up under "automotive" then "salvage" start calling them in order, til you find a newer year jeep with the rear disc brakes, then ask how much.

what i would do , when i finally find one, is go there and look at it thoroughly, and compare it to your truck and see what is different. i can tell you you will need at least the booster, master cylinder, proportioning valve, abs valve(for the RWAL), rwal module, brake lines, brake hoses, e-brake cables, possibly even the whole rear assembly(and the axles too), and you have to get the same rear axle ratio or you will be buying a transfer case very shortly

if it has 4-wheel anti-lock---good luck!

also make sure you get a 9-1/4" rear, the 8-1/4" rear won't hold up

a properly operating (properly adjusted) brake system will stop a jeep fine enough, disc or drums in the rear. after you spend all this time and money, you might not even notice the slight braking increase.