electrical

Old 08-25-03, 06:10 AM
cstickney
Visiting Guest
Question electrical

My Buick Riviera has an electrical problem light on. The digital dash lights flicker on and off. We are fixing this car up. What could the problem be?The speedometer,odometer etc... don't work when this happens.

Old 08-25-03, 06:37 AM
Futures1
Visiting Guest
Hi C;

I think you are going to have a problem getting an answer on this one.. You may want to provide more detail about the vehicle. Year, mileage, etc.
Sounds to me like a loose connection or screw under the dash, but just a guess on my part.
Some very good sites out there for various makes of cars. Try entering some words which relate to your veh. make and/or problem in http://www.google.com .
Another site which for a fee willgive you a ton of information about any specific veh. is http://www.alldata.com/ !!

Hope this helps... what part of NH are you from ??
Dick S.

Old 08-25-03, 11:12 AM
cstickney
Visiting Guest
Electrical

Thanks.It'a 1990-1993 Riviera.110,00 miles. Car is in great shape except for the dash problem the last owner said that the digital dash flickers on and off. The idiot light is on, it says electrical problem.I don't mind spending money to fix it,but I don't know where to start. My husband is pretty good mechanically. I don't want to spend huge money at a dealership. Can it be hooked up to the code machine? Will the light that's on read a code? We,re in Nashua

Old 08-25-03, 12:19 PM
Futures1
Visiting Guest
Hi again C;

A couple of things...
1/ There is a member with the screen name "Sharp Advice" in the automotive forum who sounds to be quite knowledgable !!
You may want to go to the auto forum and read his "The Basics" thread which is the first thread to come up. You may want to direct your question directly to him as well !!

2/ the "Auto Zone" stores "lend out" the devices which read the codes for various vehicles. Not certain if they have a unit for your vehicle ?? But you could give them a call.

Glad to see another NH person using the DIY site.. certainly lots of good information available here.

Dick S.
`````````````````

Old 08-25-03, 01:20 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I THINK YOU'LL FIND THE CLUSTER IS FAILED INTERNALLY,AND THAT REPLACEMENT WILL BE NECESSARY. GM DEALERS CAN GET U A REMANUFACTURED ONE REASONBLY. IT WOULD BE WORTH SEARCHING THROUGH THE TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETINS FOR THIS SYMPTOM JUST TO BE SURE THOUGH, AGAIN, AT A DEALER. CHANCES ARE THERE WILL BE NO RELATED CODES STORED.

Old 08-25-03, 01:35 PM
cstickney
Visiting Guest
electrical

Thank you everyone. I will check for bulletins.

Old 08-26-03, 09:19 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sharp Advice didn't write "The Basics", I did .

As Big mentioned, failed clusters are common on these cars.

Big: No need to go to Delco or a dealer for repair. Aftermarket companies (many of them now) offer reman services for these through parts stores. It is sent to them and back to the parts store. The customer picks it up .

Old 08-26-03, 11:19 AM
cstickney
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Old 08-26-03, 11:56 AM
Futures1
Visiting Guest
Sorry about that Joe F !!!!

I should have looked deeper... egg on my face.

Great article though !!

Dick S.
````````````

Old 08-26-03, 12:15 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Talking

Lol no problem and thanks.

Old 08-26-03, 05:55 PM
cstickney
Visiting Guest
Joe F. Do you know the auto parts chains that are able to order that?

Old 08-27-03, 03:36 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Just about any parts store that carries/handles remanufactured computers for cars.

It's the same source that would reman the cluster. Call around. Ask them to ask their reman electronics supplier if they handle it.

Old 08-27-03, 06:33 PM
cstickney
Visiting Guest
Thank you so much,it's nice to have friendly knowledgeable people around. I will pass this site to all my friends.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: