govenor pressure sensor

Old 08-27-03, 08:59 PM
chevman
Visiting Guest
govenor pressure sensor

need a little help on a 2000 dodge dakota 5.9 r/t with a 518 4 spd torqueflight trans. the problem is in the tranny the code came back that the govenor pressure sensor in the trans is bad does anyone know where it is and how to change it, or a recommend a web site for it thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-03, 09:38 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
gee, i haven't seen one of these go bad lately(not in the last 30 minutes anyway)

does it start out in third gear too?

go buy a new sensor from the 'dealer' as well as a new reusable pan gasket, new filter, and six quarts of chrysler's fluid (atf 3 or 4, read your dipstick for the correct stuff, you're in the transition year) if it says 'type 7176' it's the old stuff, atf +3. if it's atf +4, it will say right on it. you are gambling using any other fluid. this stuff ain't cheap either. (maybe ask for a wholesale discount??)

it should be a cheap looking little piece of black plastic.

drop the pan, drop the filter(t-25 torx) take out 2-4 7/16 bolts and one or two more t-25s and the sensor will come right out. install what you just bought, in the reverse order, clean the pan on a wire wheel, add five quarts, idling in neutral, may take from 1/2 to 1.2 more quarts, depends on how quick you are.

we've seen quite a few of these go bad lately.

if you have the metal body sensor(unlikely), it might just need a computer reprogram(a flash), you would need to do a test with a scan tool to determine that, and it would be covered under 8year/80,000mile emissions warranty.

how accurate is your scan tool, can you read governor pressure?

let's hear the story of why chevman owns a dodge!! (probably not yours--right)

why not put a shift kit in at the same time, my friend did in his r/t, second gear barks.

Old 08-28-03, 03:51 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
When my sister had her 1999 Durango, the solenoids and valve body gave out on vacation and the truck was virtually undriveable

She spent the latter part of her vacation at the NJ shore in various Chrysler dealers to correct the problem.

So I'd agree they DO go bad .

Old 08-28-03, 06:51 PM
chevman
Visiting Guest
tu

thanks for the replies. and you are right mike its not mine wouldnt own one untill the quit making chevrolets ( that will never happen) but there better than fords

Old 08-28-03, 06:59 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
wouldnt own one untill the quit making chevrolets ( that will never happen) but there better than fords

people used to say that about the camaro too.......

Old 08-28-03, 07:13 PM
chevman
Visiting Guest
true

Old 08-29-03, 03:53 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
LOL. There hasn't been a real F car since 1981 in my book. LOL.

My dad told the dealer in late '80 that he outright refused to buy a Chevrolet powered Pontiac. At that time, the dealer had preliminary photos of the '82 model. My parents took one look at it and bought the '80 on the floor.

We still own it .