Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

95 chev

Visiting Guest

08-28-03, 07:08 PM   #1  
chevman
95 chev

i have a 95 chevrolet 3/4 ton 4x4 when i tow my 28 foot 5th wheel camper it wants to warm up a little about 225 i had the radiator rodded out it helped but not enough i installed a new thermostat too, i am thinking of installing a cooler thermostat but i was told that the computer would have to be programed so it wouldnt run to rich, is this true? 5.7 tbi w/ 4L80E

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

08-28-03, 07:20 PM   #2  
mike from nj
i highly doubt it.

unless your foot is on the floor(wide open throttle) the oxygen sensor will compensate the fuel mixture as it is designed to.

i would say a little temperature rise is normal, i know my temperature rises a lot when i try to pedal a bike up a hill. picture pulling all that extra weight and wind resistance, the engine is working much harder. is the viscous fan engaging, or is it just freewheeling, that will make a big difference too. is the fan shroud still there?

let's see what everyone else says.....

08-28-03, 08:19 PM   #3  
it is really designed to run that warm the fan clutch doesnt really engage good till about 225 or 230 and if you listen closely you can usually hear the fan pushing alot more air when it reaches that temp.
to satisfy customers who didnt want there engine to run that warm in the past usually required removing fan clutch and replacing with a flex fan.

Visiting Guest

08-29-03, 04:08 AM   #4  
Joe_F
If you haven't already lunched your tranny,a cooler would be a stellar idea.

I also hope you are changing your fluid and filter MINIMALLY once a year towing a house like that.

Is the fan clutch actually working? Does the "problem" occur at idle, cruising, in traffic?

Do you have V08 (GM option) heavy duty cooling? Factory tow package? You may be asking the truck to do more than it was designed for.

A cooler stat will fool the computer and screw things up. If the truck is properly equipped & rated for this job it can handle it fine.

08-29-03, 05:01 AM   #5  
WITH THAT TRANNY, YOU SHOULD BE ALL SET UP FOR TOWING. I WOULDN'T TAKE THE GAGE READINGS LITERALLY, AS THEY ARE NOT LINEAR.GET A SCAN TOOL HOOKED UP TO IT AND SEE WHAT THAT SAYS WHEN U ARE TOWING(IF POSSIBLE)

Visiting Guest

08-29-03, 11:08 AM   #6  
chevman
the tranny has just been rebuilt 4000 miles ago and it has a trans cooler seprately and in the radiator it has a 2 core radiator but the tanks are 3 times the size of a half ton and its aabout 8in longer the fan clutch is working, it warms up at highway speeds

Visiting Guest

08-29-03, 11:57 AM   #7  
james19501967
While you had the radiator out did you look to see if the condenser, external trans oil cooler and any other air-cooled devices that go in front or behind the radiator were clean (so the air can flow freely thru the cooling fins) and not bent over on ether side? With the help of a friend and a strong flashlight you can easily check, shine the light behind the assembly and look at every sq. in. from the front of the vehicle. If you find bent fins straighten them carefully. Bugs, dirt, leaves etc. must be removed
(be careful of those fins). I know that you have checked to make sure the radiator cap pressure is as it should be and you are not loosing coolant anywhere, right? If you are not having a problem with boil over the temp may be normal. As above if you can get a scan to get a more accurate read than the dash gauge that might help to alleviate your concerns. One last thought what is the concentration of the coolant mix? General rule of thumb is a 50/50% mix a little stronger (more antifreeze i.e.; 60/40%) might help but don't over do it above that the effect degrades in both over heat and freeze protection. Hope this helps.

Visiting Guest

08-29-03, 01:06 PM   #8  
Jayhawk
Another option is more radiator. Ask a radiator shop about a 3 row "H" core or X2000 type core for your radiator. A 4 row "Heatbuster" is also available...I sell plenty around here.

Search this Thread